Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear end Noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dduckblazer, Oct 11, 2002.

1. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

I had a poping crunch noise coming from my rear diff. I had it inspected at a 4wheel parts store and saw that a couple of the spider gears wear broken off. The shop sold me a rebild Spider gears kit ($112.) I had them put the new kit in. When I drove my truck home it still makes the same poping crunch noise. Did they miss something or did they not put it in? Also would you have to remove the brakes and alxel to put new spider gears in? Im starting to wounder if they did it at all. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif O ya its a 10 bolt diff

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also would you have to remove the brakes and alxel to put new spider gears in?

[/ QUOTE ]
    yes they would so they could slide the axle shafts out to get the spider gears out
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Im starting to wounder if they did it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
    pull the dif cover and inspect it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you might want to look for yourself.like mudhog said they would have had to pull the shafts to get to the spiders in the diff.the c clip holds the axles in against the im not sure the technical term but the crosshaft that the side spiders rides on.it also has to be pulled almost out to get the gears out.

4. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

There's a good chance they left some chunks in there as well. Look for metal in the fluid. If you can pull the diff. carrier out feel around just inside the tubes behind the shims. That seems to be a big place for metal to hide. If they did actually swap the gears, they may have just done a crappy job of cleaning the mess out afterwards.

5. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

Now have an apointment with the shop Monday. Ill update everyone what they/I find.