Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear end (posi)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Psycho, May 30, 2003.

1. K5Psycho

K5Psycho Registered Member

i am redoing the rear end on my blazer, it is a 373 posi 10 bolt axle.i am having problems taking the pinion shaft off, i removed the pinion lock screw but the pinion shaft does not come out. i need to get this out so i can finish =) any know how let me know
    thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you get the entire pinion shaft lock screw out, or only the threaded portion right below the head?

If you got all of it out, it may very well be the pinion shaft itself is all torn up, there was another post about this same issue no more than a week or two ago.

3. K5Psycho

K5Psycho Registered Member

i will check to see if i got the entire screw out, it was a farely small screw like less than inch or about that size

what else torn pinion shaft hows that work ?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, the pinion gears will sometimes wear out the bushings they sit on, wobble on the pinion shaft, and gouge the sides of the pinion shaft where they ride...those edges will then catch when you try and pull the pinion shaft.

Sounds to me like you haven't got the entire pinion shaft lock screw out though. The screw is threaded only at the head, the rest of the screw passes all the way through the pinion shaft, and partially into the carrier on the other side. Hold what you've got up against the carrier to see if it is that long. The end of that lock screw, on all that I have seen, is rounded.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Try and tap it out. If you tood out the bolt you should be able to tap it out.