Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear-end problem and K5 is 4sale

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5, Nov 30, 2001.

1. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Any ideas whats wrong?? Cost to fix??
    When making turns my rear-end locks up. Once weight is lifted a little from one side it actually freezes the tire and it drags along the ground. Only noticed the drag on the right tire when making a left hand turn. The left gets tight but hasn't locked up. When the turn is finished it goes back to normal. The last time I drove it, two weeks ago, it sounded like the gearing was jumping during turns and when going straight the right side shuddered when getting up to about 40mph. Haven't had time to call any shops. HELP!!

I don't know if I should get it fixed or sell as is. It also needs a door hing replaced and 3 body mounts (2 radiator, 2 right side). Besides that, the thing is assume. Black w/grey interior. 4" system w/35 BFGoodriches...... I hate to sell it but I just don't have the time to give it the care it needs. And I don't really need 2 SUVs. I just bought a 2000 Tahohe LT, 25, 000 miles, FULLY loaded for $25,000. Yes, $25,000!!! It was my wifes boss' truck and it was kind of like a xmas bonus to give it to her for that price.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Is there an LSD in the rear? If it does, it sounds like it isn't differentiating(sp?) for the dofferent speeds of the wheels during a turn. Same thing that happens when you run a spool or a welded rear...

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like a roached differential. A side gear probably has a broken tooth. [​IMG] If you haven't broken anything else by driving it, it should be a pretty cheap fix.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it -might- have a gov'loc in it. Does this happen after driveing it down the freeway? -deffenetly a indication of a gov-'loc -um- locked.
    Either way, pop the diff cover off and look inside, if it's a gov-loc it will have a governer in it (round barrel looking thing) on one side of the spider gears. If it's a standared open diff, it will just have the side gears. Look for anything unusual, like pitts, broken teeth. Spin the diff by hand and see if it binds, spin the axle shafts, it shouldn't bind (unless its a gov-loc).

Gov-loc;
    Clean the inside of the diff with "brake-cleaner", make sure you get the clutch packs on the passanger side cleaned. Clean the governer and the small-toothed tone ring on the drivers side. Get all the junk out of it that you just cleane off. Replace the bum cover and refill with 80/90. Use a small amount of limited slip addative. Redrive, make figure 8s in a parking lot to work the freash fluids. This should help, if not eliminate the problem.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You might have fryed the gov loc. When I broke mine, it would make a popping sound going around corners. Check the parts list in the glove box and see if you see a "locking differential." If is says you have one then its a gov lock. Thats about all the help I can give you, sorry.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

6. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. It does have a gov lock - G80, right? I'll try your cure Tiztid. Thanks!

7. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. It is defintely worse after driving on the highway. Seems like that heats it up and then it locks up quicker. It does have a gov lock - G80, right? I'll try your cure Tiztid. Thanks!