Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear end question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Jun 14, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

what are the symptoms of a rear ring and pinion going bad? my 84 knocks sometimes from the rear when i press the gas on a standstill (usually when its an uphill stop and go). it seems as if the rear 10 bolt sounds like a big thump 2 or 3 times. it does'nt do it often, and just at a stessful start like going up a hill. i almost want it to be my gears, because that gives me an excuse to drop new 4:56's in it. :) anyway, any suggestions?
    thanks in advance....the big Kelboski

2. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

if you have any knowledge on this, please help. i'd like to fix whatever it is before i break something in the middle of nowhere.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

It could possibly be worn gears or it could be a bad/worn pinion bearing.

Can you mve the pinion by hand if you crawl under it???

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Before you go spending a bunch of money, check out a few things first.

Put the rig in neutral and set the parking brake. Crawl under and try to move the rear driveshaft up and down. If you have a lot of up and down slop in the slip joint, it can cause the noise you're hearing.

Check the torque on the ubolts that hold the axle to the springs. If they get loose you'll get some strange stuff happening back there.

Also check the spring bushings. If they're rotted or missing, they'll let the axle move around and bang quite a bit.

Also make sure that the nut holding the pinion shaft in place isn't loose.

A broken tooth on a ring gear will click or bang on each revolution of the wheel. A broken tooth on the pinion shaft will click or bang on each revolution of the driveshaft. Neither will be an intermittent noise. It will happen all the time and the gearset will usually self destruct soon after you start hearing the noise. I've heard that sound coming from a few 12-bolts... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com