Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear end questions?Problem solved!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crashfirepm53, Jul 19, 2004.

1. crashfirepm53

crashfirepm53 Registered Member

I bought my burb 6 months ago and had all the fluids changed.My mechanic took care of the axle lube and said that it looked good inside and the gears appeared fairly new. and now i noticed today that when I turn the truck and then straigthen out the wheels and acellerate the rear end feels like it is a true locker with one side of the axle hopping.After getting straight it hops a few times and then is fine.whats going on?

2. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Re: Rear end questions?

open up the cover it may be a locker /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. crashfirepm53

Question is why did it never do this before?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Why not just ask the guy that did the lubing if he remembers if there was a locker or open carrier.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet its a axle with a G80 code , and your Gov-Loc is going to die soon . Mine worked good wheeling , real good , was like an open on the street . About a month before it died it started acting like a locker or a spool around some corners . I would pull the cover and expect it while it still only costs the fluid and a gasket with some sealer . Mine thankfully got wedged together and held in the c-clips so I didn't lose my axles /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. crashfirepm53

I'll check it out.What am I talking about for repair or parts needed?

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it is some kind of clutch type posi it needs an additive as well as gear oil. Sometimes the rated gear oil for posi-traction isn't enough.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep what everyone else said... its probley and LSD and when he changed the fluids he probley didn't add int he $8 bottle of GM Limited slip lube that you can only get from the dealer... I put some in with my auburn and whala... no more noise /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. crashfirepm53

I asked my mechanic that did the fluid swap and he confermed he did put in the slip fluid.You can buy a OEM pcec product at Advance auto parts.He referred me to his buddy that spec. in rear ends and he said to add a little more fluid in and take it to the pavement and just do a bunch of hard circles in case the clutchs were locked up.Other than that it is prob. the Gov-loc.Well I did circles till I puked.No luck.Then I decided to do some really hard circles and punch the throttle to where the high side spins but the low side cannot due to the pressure on it.Sure enough after 3 times of this with the tire squealing, It broke free and is once again smooth as a babies butt!!

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just be prepared , if it is a Gov Loc , even if you think it will last on you ( like I thought ) , it WILL break when you least expect it . Mine let go the day I closed on my house /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif