Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear end replacement in Orlando area

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scottnj, Aug 4, 2001.

1. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

Hello. Somehow the bolt broke in my rear differential that held the carrier on. That in turn made a nice mess with the ring gear. I am not good at rear end work. Would like to know where the best place to take it to be fixed in Central Florida.
    I am in the process of looking for a whole replacement to change out though. Either way would be a good option. Thanks
    Scott

2. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

what kind of rear axle do you have, is it a blazer? Don't bother rebuilding it. It would probably cost you more than you could find a used one for. Asuming you have a 10 or 12 bolt, and your looking for a cheap way out, the best thing you could do is upgrade to a sf 14 bolt that is still 6 lug. that way you can still keep the wheels and tires while upgrading. If you are really looking for a rear end that won't break very easily, install a 14 bolt ff, the only problem with that is you would need to convert your 10 bolt or 44 in the front to 8 lug or your best bet all around is of course the kick ass 60. All this is assuming you have a half ton chevy of course....Brian

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

3. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

Hi. It is a 1991 Blazer. It has the 10 bolt rear end, stock.
    I dont do any major 4x4'ing these days but I love having my 4x4 if I need it. I want to try to do the least amount of modifications as possible. I was thinking a 12 bolt rear end if I did need to find a different rear end. If I went that route would I have any unforseen problems? driveshaft length, angle or the driveshaif, brakes, etc?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Scott

4. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

your 91 was the last year of that body style, so if you are set on a 12 bolt, look for any half ton chevy truck, blazer, or suburban from 73 and up. Around 77 or so GM switched to the 10 bolt, which would also work for you. If you go with the 12 bolt it would be a direct bolt up. the pinion length for your driveline shouldn't be enough difference to matter, unless it is very close already . hope that helps

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

5. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

Yes it was and I am glad to have it too. I want to try to keep it for 20 years :) I am not set on a 12 bolt, just need to get it back on the road but if I am going to do it I want it to last. I was hoping to get just something that will bolt on but would also be a little stronger then the 10 bolt.

6. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

The best place I've found is RonJons automotive on S. Orange Ave. They did my Tcase.If you need a phone # let me know.

fix'n finally