Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear end rust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NUBIENLOC76, May 31, 2005.

1. NUBIENLOC76

NUBIENLOC76 Newbie

Hey guys Im having a delima. I have an 89 Blazer the body is pretty clean but i have a nasty rust problem @ the edge of the bed across the back and it follows up the side to where the bed cables connect to the bed plus that back tailgate plate needs to be replaced it has rusted there are some rust spots around the rear seat latch on the bed but i think it can be fixed w/out replacing the whole bed is there a site which sells the very end of the bedsides or would i have to find a donor and cut

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They sell patches..

You can get a "tailpan" section in many aftermarket brands--but they only go in a few inches from the tailgate,not sure if they fix where the cables anchor though..kinda thin gauge metal too..I've seen guys chop out that section from a pickup bed at a junkyard and use that as a repair panel...its hard to find a pickup or a K5 here that isn't badly rusted there though..I had to make my own on my 81 G10 van--it had holes under the rear doors,no one made a panel,so I used 16ga galvanized steel..and got "zinc chills" after welding it in! :mad:

3. NUBIENLOC76

NUBIENLOC76 Newbie

thanks

thanks

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what you'll need is a tailpan, which is the crossmember your body mounts sit under. then you buy the 2 back floor sections.. they split it down the middle.. you can section in just the back 6" or so over the tailpan or use the whole pieces. the go about halfway up the wheelwells, just short of the recessing seat holes.. keep in mind there are crossbraces spot welded under the floor the farther up you go that would need to swap over.. i'm going halfway into the first crossbrace..

as far as the post area, thats part of the qrter panel. you could patch it..

i have 2 new qrters, the back 2 floor halves, wheelwhells, and tailpan waiting to go in...

tons of places to get the jap import stuff. LMC, ChevyDuty, http://www.autobodyspecialt.com/ http://www.americanclassic.com/index.htm jc whitney....