Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear end shims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kevinv, Jul 25, 2000.

1. kevinv

kevinv Registered Member

For those interested, I custom machined some 7.25 degree shims for my K5 with SkyJacker 6" lift springs. This got my rear Ujoint angle to 1 degree (nearly straight)- this is right where I want it (and where it should be for a CV drive shaft).

This is in stark contrast to what SkyJacker sells and recommends- I'm going to step out here and say that after talking with SJ at least 3 times- I am convinced that their level one support guys really don't understand what these axle shims are supposed to do. Neither do most Blazer owners I have spoken with.

Comments?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand the CV driveshaft theory, the two U-joints in the CV cancel each other out so you have to run the rear one at a minimum angle (just enough to compensate for housing rotation)I have a 205 T-case with a fixed yoke and run a regular driveshaft (fr and rr U-joints) I have a 4" susp. lift and am currently running 4 degree shims. This has the U-joint angles pretty equal, and I get no vibration and the U-joints seem to last. If the guys at SJ don't understand the basics of drivetrain angles maybe they should look for some other job or something.
    Rene