Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear-end To Front-end???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUPER'BURB, Apr 21, 2005.

1. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

First off I tried a search and it says my words are too common, so PLEASE :1zhelp: just answer the ????????????

I've got a D44 front 14bff rear in my rig now.

In the barn I have another 14bff and a D60ff.

The weird @#$% floating in my head :screwy: :screwy: says "That guy made a 14b into a front-end so why not do that it can't cost as much as buyin a D60 front. Or why not do it with the D60?"

Are the voices correct or are they insane too? What will need to go into this type of mod? :thinking: :dunno:

Any info. is appreciated!!!!!!! :burb:

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

The problem with turning any rear axle into a steerable front axle is you need the parts from the front axle to do it. So, if you go out and get yourself a front dana 60 and remove the inner "c's" you can put them on the rear 60 and have a front 60.?!? Umm, Yeah, OK< never mind that.

The other option is to go out and buy inner c's and all the other outer stuff from somebody like deadenbear (sp), ebay and wherever else you can find it but I think you end up with a bigger bill.

The only way to get a front 60 on the cheap is to find one sitting under a truck in some farmers grove or something like that. If your really lucky he won't know what its worth.

Some guys find them cheap. Some guys get tired of looking and end up paying asking price. I got tired of looking.

3. SUPER'BURB

This is what I was afraid of. :( Thanks for the info.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Rear D60's often have smaller shafts than fornt 60's too.

5. badger red

badger red 1/2 ton status

I think Wagoner Machine Shop (www.wagonermachine.com) in Clairmore, OK has built 14-bolt front axles before--might want to give them a call for info.

Jeff

6. SUPER'BURB

Thanks for the info guys :thumb:

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Wait, wait, wait. Im confused. Why would you take a rear 60 and put steering on it to be a front axle!?!?!?!

Or do you want a rear steer 14 bolt, kind of like how I built my front 14 bolt? :confused:

It'll work, anything is possible! :D

8. SUPER'BURB

Thinking about front steer 14 but didn't know what all is involved as far as work and cost. What was your experiance with this? Tons of $$$$ or less than a 60 front?
    And was it hard as hell to do?

Also in your pics the pumpkin is centered howd you do drive line angle?

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

OK if you wanted to run it offset it would be just as simple. You could either build a spring pad into the side of the housing, or just weld one to the tube, and have the diff a little more to the inside. Youd need custom shafts, abviously, about 350/pr and you can use 60 outers, that would be the only additional cost (over a 60).

Cost, it has cost the same as a 60. If you find a shop who will take the 14 bolt, and the knuckles, take the tubes out of both, and press the new tubes onto the 14b and the knuckles on, setting both your caster and pinion angle at whatever you wanted.

Mines the same WMS as a 60, the steering is for a 60, it all works.