Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear End Trouble (BANG)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stus84, Sep 16, 2005.

1. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

02 Chev Z71 4x4 - Sharp turns, pulling into parking spot or just general sharper turns - Loud - very loud bang bang bang from the rear of the truck. Any ideas just started today - I wonder if the old 84 k5 10 bolt will fit in there if it goes on me. any ideas.... Truck only has 75,000 on it

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , a locker could do that , and they do , and its normal .

However considering its a factory ( assumption ) rear , its probably broken . They are supposed to be stronger on the newer ones .

Either way its time to open it and look at it . Take a pic for us .

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Will the 84 axle fit? Well, to sum it up...............................no.

4. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dose it have a factory locker? My brothers 2000 sierra locker blew apart with 52,000 miles on it a couple of weeks ago. He called me and said there was noise coming from his truck so I went to see what was wrong, took the dif cover off and seen a 3 inch whole in the locker and a gear in several pieces that nicked the ring and pinion gear.

5. Mammoth2

Mammoth2 Registered Member

I fear what I fear........so how much? did it cost? :eek1:

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the Gov-Bomb world ! You most likely have a GM Gov-Loc in your 10 bolt and it will die a violent death one day. What is happening is that it is staying locked up for one reason or another and you are feeling it strain/ratchet/moan-n-groan when taking a sharp slow corner.
    There are those who have dead G/L's and then there are those who will have dead G/L's - rest assured yours is slowly going to die if it is staying locked up. Replace it , or better yet upgrade to a better L/S before you are stranded.
    Tom

7. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Find a 6-lug 14 bolt 9.5. It's a direct bolt in and a lot stronger than your 10 bolt for about the same price.

8. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

I had a 2001 and it done the same thing. It broke the little bolt that held the cross pin in. If you catch in in time you may save the rear. If you let it go like i did then the rear diff cover will look like a strainer when all the crap starts poking though.

9. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

Not a bad ending to the rear end story

I ended up bringing it back to the chevy dealer where I bought it from - you guys will enjoy this - after they had worked on the truck for about an hour and a half test driving pulling the rear diff cover and poking around the service lady calls me back with the we didnt find anything wrong - the fluid was just a little low and then continues on to try to sell me some service pack, while reviewing this with me she says after 122,000 this, this and this needs to be done, I found this interesting since I only had 73,000 on my rig. They had been working on the wrong truck all morning. I couldnt believe it, I was a little pissed at first for them waisting my time but then couldnt stop laughing about it. Hard to believe but not that hard. So after they test drive my chev she calls back and it sounded like it actually totaly locked up on them when they were test driving it. She said the tech pulled the diff cover and got in to it - her exact words "your spider gears are blown to pieces". The other words that were music to my ears "your warrenty covers this so all you will need to pay is the $50 deductible" finally after all the warrentys I have purchased over the years one will pay off.

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Glad that worked out for you like it did. :thumb:

11. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

$600 parts, (New ring and pinion installation kit and auburn locker) $350 labor

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Warranty good :waytogo:

We bought the extended on our Impala , comes in handy :D

13. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

once in a lifetime

Pretty cool that it actually blew up while they were driving it.Usually you'll take a car in to have it looked at and it will quit making the noise you were worried about or whatever and you'll be left standing there like an idiot.Cherish this moment.Only bad thing is your bomb is still ticking. :frown1: