Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear end vibration...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by s373n_rcr, May 2, 2004.

1. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Jan 1, 2003
    The other weekend I did my rear brakes, axle seals and bearings. Upon finishing I had to make a one hour highway journey and noticed some vibration from the rear end between 50-65mph. I am a little worried that something did not go back together properly. It's a stock 10bolt. I did not mark the axleshafts when removed however they did go back to the proper side of the truck ie; right and left. When removing the axleshafts the uppermost gear in the diff fell out then the /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifleft and lower fell too while trying to put it all back together.

a)I am assuming that if I put those gears back together incorrectly the result would be much more sinister than a mere vibration with no noise.

b)I am also assuming the axleshafts are balanced and should be fine to slide back into place, or should TDC have been marked and realigned on installation?

I also thought that the new drums and shoes could be settling into each other, but would not expect that to last two weeks. I considered that it needs shocks all the way 'round and there is a broken spring at each rear corner, but again did not think this would affect the highway ride like this. It could be as simple as one of my aftermarket "chinese" drums that are supposed to be balanced actually isn't. Or maybe a tire has become out of round or a wheel has lost a weight. Travelling the highway with my kids in the truck now has me paranoid that I will see my rear end through the rearview mirror. Any ideas of what I should check or be looking for? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif