Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear end whines ...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 30, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

After I shift into 2nd sometimes my rear end will make some noise (im pretty sure its my rear end) and when im going down a trail w/ lots of bumps and stuff it tends to make noises and whine... is it my incredably small gears running 35's? Im prolly switching to 4.11's next weekedn. Ohh and also when i let off the gas it seems to slow down realy fast ... also small gears? Im pretty sure i have like 3.43 or 3.55 or something. Whatever came stock near those numbers..

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

Man, I need 350
    Damned 305's.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The rear ends usually start whining after getting hot, which would be on the highway...mine did that, had some bad bearings in it I think...The reason it slows down on the highway when you take your foot off the gas probably has more to do with the tranny...do you have a TH350 or drive in D on a 700R4? The reason is the RPM's go up, and it is similar to engine braking. Anyway, sounds like a good excuse to go to 4.11's...

90K5

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had a pinion bearing that only whined when you took your foot out of the gas. Eventually it failed, my rear axle locked up at about 40 MPH, and the pumpkin spun on the axle tubes about 270* until it was pointed straight up in the air. That's how I destroyed my 12 bolt.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Lay off the burritos and your rearend won't whine like that! Really though, check and make sure it's the diff and not something else in the driveline (tranny, axle bearings, t-case, etc) all could make a whine, and we all know how deceiveing it can be when we hear a noise where it's actually coming from. Dumb question, but have you checked the condition of the gear lube? (assuming theres some in there [​IMG] ) Check and double check before your dump a bunch of cash to fix something that's not broken, only to find out the part next to it is about to go. Good luck!

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If there's no gear lube in it, you won't get far at all. I got about 8 miles. You'll know too. It will slow down a lot when you take your foot off the gas. I saw my old gears, and there was a big melted looking spot on them.

90K5

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Well im getting new gears this weekend.. what happenned before was the yoke was leaking and i had a crack in my diff cover... and my frony bearings were shot.. i got it all fixed last week and it doesnt whine at all off road like it did before i noticed the crack and leak... i bet my gears are in bad shape considering they are stock and i have 35's.
    When i let off the gas it slows down alot and when i give it gas it kinda jerks forward like im trying to drag race or something. Not bad though. Im thinking its cuased by the small gears?? I need a new dif cover since they couldnt find a stock repalcement and just put some JB weld over the crack im thinking a summit cover. I couldnt find any other ones.. i mite look in LMC but those are jus stock covers arent they?
    Thanks guys.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208, 4.11's coming soon.
    Kn filter

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You can find a cover in a junkyard for really cheap.

90K5