Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

REAR END WHINING-stock 91 blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SHAWNSTER, Mar 29, 2004.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

on saturday -i started hearing a whining noise that sound like its coming from the rear end-the weird thing is it starts whining at 15 mph and stops at 45-47 mph and sometimes you can hear it until you come to a stop-but not all the time-when my 12b went it whined all the time-so not sure if tranny / rear end or t case-what do you guys think /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif 10 bolt rear 241 tcase and 700r4 tranny

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a possible pinion bearing problem, maybe check the pinion nut for tightness. Without actually hearing it,,, /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

its 4 sure the 10bolt- i have a 14ff but not sure about spending $$$ on a lift to keep that big a$$ axel off the ground

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

5. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    REAR END WHINING

[/ QUOTE ]

So is mine, but I think it is the beans I had last night... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

The tolerance between your ring an pinion has increased. Try filling rear housing with the thickest gear lube you can find. If it still whines and you do not want to replace ring and pinion right away, add about a hand full of pine or other med to fine sawdust. This will cushion gears but not for long, go easy as grenading will become a possibility at higher torque values. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

when mine did that it was the carrier bearings. i got a deal on a 44/12 bolt combo with 4.56 gears and a rear locker that were about 6 months old. when i tore apart my 10 bolts, the rear one had at least an 1/8" of play in the carrier bearings, and the whole carrier just fell out when i pulled the bearing caps off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    , add about a hand full of pine or other med to fine sawdust

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, did you sell me my last car?