Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear end

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by only 31s, Nov 30, 2004.

1. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

got some 33s they rode quiet,but 2 weeks later my tires feel like they have huge knobbies on them. i have 156k on corp gm rear could this be my rear end starting to go ? ive checked out everthing else . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Did you get the 33's balanced when they were installed, and are all of the weights still in place. I know you said you checked "everything" but this is an easy place to start. Are you getting any other symptoms of a bad rear end such as bearing or gear noise?

3. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

also carefuly look at the tires for separation (bubbles in the tread)

willow

4. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

also what kind of tires are they?? have nylon in them or are they bias ply? i've got "inexpensive" performance tires on my car and my first time driving it in the cold i thought i had a flat /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.. mentioned it to my grandparents while visiting and my gramma asked if i had nylon tires?? went and checked, sure enough they are. guess us whipper snappers dont know everything afterall.. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

futura dakotas balance ok.tires ok.rims ok.when i start out avibration comes through the steering then disappears and leaves what sounds like a loud tire noise up to highway speed and winds down progressivly while slowing or stopping /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

maybe ive asked it wrong.how bout this- what are the symptoms of a failing rear end= corp w10 bolt cover 8.5 ring gear /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Did you check your U-joints ??? Just change them if you don't know how old they are, they're cheap. Mine made all kinds of vibration and noise when they went.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Ditto , mine sounded like gear noise until I changed all the rear joints as a precaution on advice from Marv , made it go away , guess I had one bad one , must be the torque I guess /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

tw cv driveshaft 2months oldw/ aperfectdiff angle maybe t case causing the whine and low speed rough feel it has enough fluid and tranny shifts perfect /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have a CV also . No vibes . Yet after 9 months a u-joint was going , but I really do wheel and drive mine daily . A little noise is ok , these trucks aren't quiet . Double check everything just in case , make sure no wheel weights fell off . And with your CV , grease it often if it has zerks on it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif