Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear End

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87blues, Nov 15, 2005.

1. 87blues

87blues Registered Member

I have an 87 Jimmy Fullsize 4x4 that started making a real sound popping sound when I would turn going slow in the rear. I drain the rear differential and found broken teeth on the gear inside the carrier. I believe my vehicle has the gov lock type carrier and is a 10 bolt pan. Do I need to replace just the carrier or the carrier and the ring and pinion. But I thought ring and pinion was outside of carrier. Please help. To add to this drama I have a 4" lift with 35's and the gears are factory 3:42 in both front and rear. Should I change to 4:56 and replace carrier and if so about how much.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, dont waste a single dollar on a broken 10 bolt. Trust me. Now is the perfect time to get a used ff14b and swap it in. You can find them for $100-200. 4.10 geared ones are super common, and would be much better for your 35s than your current gears... though 4.56 would be even better.

j

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I agree with Jekbrown. I spent about $1,000 to have someone rebuild my ten bolt (BEFORE I found CK5 obviously)...only to have it blow up two years later. The funny part is that I was hauling home the 14 bolt when the ten bolt blew up for the second time :rolleyes: The 14 bolt cost me $500 and had 4.56 gears and a detroit...and it will NEVER blow up.

4. Putt2014

Putt2014 Registered Member

Dont Bother building a 10 bolt. Start looking for a 14 bolt or a dana 60.
    The gearing is up to you. I would run 4.10 for mud or 4.56 on the rocks with 35's

5. 87blues

Okay, so if I go to the 14 bolt, do I need to change the front to a 15 as well? If not I definitely need to change the gears in my stock front to match the gears in the rear 14 though correct? Okay anybody selling these 14 bolts around VA that is reasonable price?

6. Putt2014

Putt2014 Registered Member

The front axle should be a 10 bolt and should be fine running 35s just change the gears in the front to match what you put in the rear

7. 87blues

Okay, I'm just getting into this stuff so I do not know a lot so forgive the questions, but do the 14 bolt come in 6 lugs? I have new rims and tires I hate to part with because my 10 bolt of course is 6 lug.

8. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

No, the 14BFF is has an 8 lug pattern, so you will need to get some new wheels to match. Look on Summit or other places online and you should be able to find some that are pretty reasonably priced.

Call around to some junk yards and ask if they've got any 3/4 ton Chevy trucks out there. Make sure it's not a 1 ton 14B becasue that won't be a direct bolt in, but the 3/4 version will be. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions. :o

Actualy, yes, some 14 B Semi Floaters had a 6 lug pattern, but you will want to go with the Full Floater, which will be 8.

9. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

14 bolt semi-float axles come in six lug. But the indestructable 14 bolt is the full-float. These only come in 8 lug, but you could easily do what I did. I run 8-6 lug adapters so I can still use my six lug wheels, and retain all the benefits of a full-float axle. :thumb:

10. 87blues

Thank you, I will check the local junk yards and see what they have and also see if I can find these 8-6 lug adapter on the web.

11. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

You have a 14 bolt ff axle in your back yard Mary.

12. 87blues

Where about in VA