Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear end ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tim_87, Mar 31, 2003.

1. tim_87

tim_87 1/2 ton status

question about tire width? today was the first time ever
    i have rode behind my 87k5. it seems that the front tires
    extended out father than the rear. normal or something that
    needs checking ?????

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Its normal im not sure on exact measurements but the front 10 bolt has a wider track than the rear 10 bolt. Nothing to worry about /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Its normal im not sure on exact measurements but the front 10 bolt has a wider track than the rear 10 bolt. Nothing to worry about /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Its 3" I believe. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    John [​IMG]

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

There ya go, thanks John /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

Is there any purpose to getting those spacers I've seen here? do they improve the handling in any way or is it a cosmetic fix only?

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Basically cosmetic.
    Some people say that GM did it for turning radius purposes - I have not read anything believeable about this yet however, and can't think of how it would work. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    And some people will say that lining up the rear tires directly behind the front ones will help out in the mud and deep snow...to that I say "bull puhy"...if that's the reason you believe your truck runs through the mud and snow so well, than you've got another thing coming.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pure speculation, but I'll guess that it was done to allow the same wheels (backspacing) front and rear, while allowing the tires to turn a reasonable distance, without rubbing. Of course, with the stock 235/75R15 or 31's, I can't see how the tires would even be close to rubbing.

On the snow/mud issue, I have to disagree, running in virgin snow is a lot easier (better traction) than running in existing tracks. At least from what I've seen/experienced, existing tracks serve to make the snow "ice" whereas the virgin snows still affords some traction. Much more dependent on tires I'm sure than wheel placement though.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pure speculation, but I'll guess that it was done to allow the same wheels (backspacing) front and rear, while allowing the tires to turn a reasonable distance, without rubbing. Of course, with the stock 235/75R15 or 31's, I can't see how the tires would even be close to rubbing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, I agree about that with the front - but it still doesn't answer the question "why didn't they just make the rear 3 inches wider?"
    [ QUOTE ]
    On the snow/mud issue, I have to disagree, running in virgin snow is a lot easier (better traction) than running in existing tracks. At least from what I've seen/experienced, existing tracks serve to make the snow "ice" whereas the virgin snows still affords some traction. Much more dependent on tires I'm sure than wheel placement though.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think that if you re-read my post, you'll find that you're agreeing with me. I said that some people think that lining up their front and rear tires will help them out...but I was saying it will not. Maybe my wording was'nt very good.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think there are real-world benefits of having spacers. I always found it annoying when i went wheelin pre-spacers and my rear tires would slip'n'slide into the ruts that my front tires were going straight through. its not the end of the world... it was just annoying. Pretty much an unecessary loss of traction. Secondly, having a wider track width = more stability. Sure, its only 1.5" on either end... and the effect on stability prolly isnt THAT great, but still. Considering all the things we ck5-types do to our rigs that make them less stable, i like the idea of doing something every once in a while that actually helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j