Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear ended - "4x4 Iron" bumper

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mccomas, Jul 19, 2004.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

aaa

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: rear ended - \"4x4 Iron\" bumper

did he hit the spare tire? that bumper must be DARN strong! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i think it knocked some paint off my bumper

[/ QUOTE ]

now thats what im talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

<font color="red"> so gonna save my money and get one now for sure. thats bad ass! hope it didn't tweak your frame any though. cus that would suck. </font>

5. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    got rear ended at a red light today by an f150. the guy slammed into my badass "4x4 Iron" bumper pretty hard – enough to move me forward. he totally screwed up his rig. both of his air bags deployed, the hood rolled up, the motor moved to the side, both fenders rolled up and his door got jacked up to the point that it would not open. this guy hit me so hard that the glass in his topper shattered. i think it knocked some paint off my bumper – cool bumper…

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

how did your spare tire not get caved into your rear gate ?

6. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

he did not hit the spare - i have about 7 inches of lift and even with my 30 inch ghetto tires i was setting high enough where his point of impact only came in contact with the flat surface of my bumper (i only have a 36 mounted on the rack; still waiting for the other 4 to arrive). i looked at the frame pretty good and all seems well. i am sure that by getting shoved forward, a great deal of energy was absorbed. the cops were all joking around about how screwed up his rig was and mine only having a skinned up bumper. he received a ticket and was found to be at fault so i will go to a good shop and have everything checked out in great detail.

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

strong bumper and you got lucky.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Good thing I bought that welder! Better get started on my bumper now! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I bet your frame is bent. I know mine was when I got rear ended. How fast was the guy going?

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I believe it!

Tim knows how to make a stout Bumper! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

very nice! i had someone run into my front KMA and "scratch the paint" a while back... makes ya wanna put beefy bumbers on all your cars/trucks/minivans etc... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

12. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I got rear ended in the burb at a stop light on my way to school a few months ago and i had my trailer hitch on /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Im pretty sure the little har only stoped casue the hitch speared through her grill and radiator and hit the motor. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifI got home later that day and she lived right across the street from me but (i noticed casue her car was all screwed up) but my truck? paint from her car on the hitch and bumper /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif thats it. It also moved me forward a bit. For a second I actually didnt realize what was going on. GO CHEVY!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Cool, glad I have a www.4x4iron.com bumper too!
    Mine is a diferent but I'm sure it would hold up pretty good.
    It reminds me of a long time ago when I drove a GMC pickup that had no bumper for years and the day I got one put on a guy with a BMW thought the light turned green and rear-ended me. I got out and didn't have a scatch on it but he was less all four lights,grill and a hood /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

14. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Reminds of of a similar story. Back in 93 ish, I wasdring a dirt road that was snow covered and closed for the winter due to seasonal maintenance. I was doing about 25-30 when I came around a corner and hit a toy 2wd truck. Smashed in his front end and ended up pushing him off a 3' embankment. Leter I found out it was totaled. When I told this to th einsurance guy, he said to go get my truck checked. I explained that only scrathed my front steel bumper. After he stopped laughing, he said he would wave my deductbable and personnay buy me a can of paint.

15. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

16. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I used to be an Over The Road (OTR) driver, I had a lady rear end my rig (1995 Freightliner Classic, stand up sleeper, 480 HP Detroit, straight up 10 speed, and pulling a 35' dry van). I was heading east on Interstate 40 in Memphis Arkansas...just outside Memphis Tennessee, close to the Mississippi river. I did not even know she had hit me until another driver got on the radio, and told me somebody had rear ended me about 5 miles back. All I felt was a small jolt, and thought maybe it was the trailer shifting a little bit over a bump. So I turned around, and went back. When I got there, the County Mounties where already on the scene. She had some pretty bad burns from hot coolant being splashed all over her because her car was so badly damaged that her engine almost ended up in her lap.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The bumper is strong, but the frame isn't. I have/had a very similar bumper with a 35" tire on a swing away. I got hit by a drunk, and they estimated she was doing 55 mph when she hit me ('77 F-100). I was stopped at a red light. I heard the tires lock up behind me and about all I had time to do was take my foot off the brake (I didn't see any cross traffic thank God) I think that allowed the energy of the impact to be a little less devastating.

My spare and tire carrier went most of the way through the tailgate, but the actual bumper itself was only mildly tweaked. That was because she didn't hit me squarely.

Most of the body lines and stuff on my truck are all wonky now, and the center of the frame is bent downwards a little. I still find oddball stuff even 3 years later.

Rene

18. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Oh my neck is killing me need money for K5 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh my neck is killing me need money for K5 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No kiddin! I would've thrown myself on the ground and gone into convulsions... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif