Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear engine mounts???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Jan 23, 2001.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I was flipping through the LMC catalog last night checking out their engine mount prices and I came across something confusing. They list the standard engine mounts and REAR engine mounts. I don't think I'm retarded, but what are they refering to?

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They are talking about what is commonly referred to as the transmission mount. Technically, it IS the rear motor mount.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

3. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Dorian,
    I don't think that's what they're refering to. They have a little diagram that shows the front pair of engine mounts, a "rear" pair AND the tranny mount. Would the disiel rigs have two sets of mounts?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm, don't have the catalog in front of me, it's not the style of tranny mounts that have the two pads on either side of the adapter? Can't recall any Chev motor that used 4 motor mounts..maybe they have the straight six ones listed in the same picture so that the two different motor mounts appear to be for the same motor?? No clue after that : )

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

5. silver 90

silver 90 Registered Member

On my 69 2wd pickup, I have 2 motor mounts in the usual location and I have 2 mounts on the bellhousing also. I believe the mounts on the bellhousing are what they refer to as the rear engine mounts. These mounts do serve as support for the rear of the motor but they also support the tranny. The tranny itself has no actual mount. It just bolts to the bellhousing.

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

maybe they are mounts for an engine with a mid plate????
    these would be aftermarket though so i don't know why they would have it listed..

well i guess silver answered that one!![​IMG]

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by k5king on 01/23/01 05:28 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Dorian,
    I think I understand what you're saying now about the pads under the adapter. The diagram is still misleading as it shows FIVE mounting points. They should have used two diagrams, one 2WD and on 4WD. I'll take another look at the catalog tonight. Thanks for the help, I was puzzled and I couldn't figure it out.[​IMG]

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm looking at it right now. what they call rear mounts is the 4wd tranny/case mounts.
    That 69 truck I bet is a inline 6. Toyota copied that motor for the Older Land cruisers with the I6. Toyota does the same thing 4 motor mounts and hangs the tranny and case off the engine.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Just pulled a 327 out of a 67 pick-up with a bulldog tranny and, bellhousing has 2 mounts no rear.

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Just pulled a 327 out of a 67 pick-up with a bulldog tranny and, bellhousing has 2 mounts no rear. The straight 6 uses the same mounts as a smallblock.

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

If you look at the years and the difference for application it states that the rear engine mounts are for four wheel drives between the year of 73- 84......figure 2 and 3...this are for your crossmember......... as for the Trany mount in the LMC book it's figure 4 and 5 are for 2 wheel drive vehicals and 4 is also used on 85 to 91 4x4 Blazers.....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

12. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I took a look at the catalog last night and sure enough I hadn't paid attention to the applications for the individual mounts. It all makes sense now, I just wasn't paying attention. Thanks.[​IMG]