Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear flip +2"springs or just 6"springs?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Parf, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Rear flip +2\"springs or just 6\"springs?

What is the better way to set up the rear suspension, using the shackle flip, and new 2" rear springs, or just going with 6" springs to begin with? What would you suggest, and why? Pease don't argue price one way or another, just things like is it easier, does it ride better, does it change something else I probably never thought of, etc?

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Re: Rear flip +2\"springs or just 6\"springs?

the flip and springs will give you a flatter, softer spring and a better ride with more suspension action and articulation. With the compression shackle and spring setup, there might be more chance for axlewrap than a straight six inch spring.
    If you aren't going for big flex or haul around some weight (or a bigger trailer), I'd go with a 6 inch spring, otherwise the flip and spring setup should work better.

3. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I was told with a shackle flip and 2 inch your less likely to have axle wrap due to the smaller arch in the springs. I am wondering just cause I installed a shackle flip plus 2 inch and am wondering about the wrap up. Jesse

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We've tested a 6" spring back to back with a flip and a 2" spring and the short spring/flip system won huge. I think it gained 30% or a squeeze more articulation measured on a test ramp on the rear end. And overall ride was a good bit better too.
    The flip kit install is a bit harder than just bolting in a spring and does have some after effects. You could have some exhaust mods, pinion angle may need some tuning, can't really think of anything else right now but there's TONS of info all over these pages on the flip so you can research other guys experience pretty well.

Not sure about a difference in axle wrap with the two systems. I'm guessing the 6" spring is going to have a bit better axle control since it's stiffer overall but without running them I couldn't tell you for sure. Both are definitely usable in either case.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We've tested a 6" spring back to back with a flip and a 2" spring and the short spring/flip system won huge. This was for the article in 4WOR if I remember right, it was on the teal stepside project truck they ran for a while. I think it gained 30% or a squeeze more articulation measured on a test ramp on the rear end. And overall ride was a good bit better too.
    The flip kit install is a bit harder than just bolting in a spring and does have some after effects. You could have some exhaust mods, pinion angle may need some tuning, can't really think of anything else right now but there's TONS of info all over these pages on the flip so you can research other guys experience pretty well.

Not sure about a difference in axle wrap with the two systems. I'm guessing the 6" spring is going to have a bit better axle control since it's stiffer overall but without running them I couldn't tell you for sure. Both are definitely usable in either case.