Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear flip Q.s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking of going with the ORD 4" rear shakle flip kit, and then using a set of 2" lowering shakles for a total of 6" of lift in the rear (on the '84 3/4T burb)
    Will this work? Any one tried it before?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'm sure someone has done it here before . I would rather use lift springs with the shackle flip myself . I wouldn't want to bend a shackle . If you wanted longer shackles , make some or have a member make some beefy ones for you :k5: :k5:

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sky-manufacturing makes a good 4" shackle flip also. They are in your area too (northwest) they make good stuff and the price is cheaper then the setup ORD sells.

As for using a 2" lowering shackle to get more lift I don't like that idea. To get 2" more lift out of a shackle the shackle would have to be at least 4" longer then stock to obtain that amount of lift. A shackle that long is questionable at best in my opinion. It would have to be a STOUT shackle to handle the added loads placed on it and it would have alot more leverage against the bolts holding it in place. The extra weight of a Suburban makes it that much worse too.

I think a 2" of 3" lift spring is a better option and a safer option. It may cost more money but is worth it in the long run IMHO.

To get a Suburban to sit level with a 6" front spring usually requires a shackle flip plus a 3" lift spring and sometimes a zero rate to add another 1" of lift.

Harley

4. Geargrinder

My Burb actualy sits level right now :laugh: so I'm thinking I only need 6" of lift in the rear to mach front 6" springs (but I may be wrong)
    I had NOT thought of all the extra weight with it being on a Burb :blush:
    U guys have a good point there. I was just thinking of the extra travle U can get with longer shackles :o I LOVE!!! the springs I have on the back now, so I might make some 2" "zero rate" style blocks for the rear and try some 1"-2" longer shackles.
    Any one here make a GOOD stout rear shackle?

PS: Thanks for the tip on Sky Mfg., right close to home, and less $$ :D

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

what kind of setup do you have in the back now? i see in your profile its a skyjacker kit, is that w/springs or blocks. if its blocks im guessing that a 4" block / 2"add a leaf. if so then you can remove the blocks,then add the flip kit.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Azzkickin off road had a really cool set up called the AK-57. Don't know what happened to Azzkickin off road , but haven't heard anything about them lately.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You could make them yourself.....ya know, that whole "Built Not Bought" thing! :cool1:

Here's a link to how I did mine....simple, strong, and quick to do.

http://www.norcalbigdawgs.net/Gallery/album50

9. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

problems with the sky kit

i suggest paying extra for the ord flip kit, i went the cheap route and bought the sky one and im paying for it now. the hardware they sent me was the wrong size and the bolt holes for the bottom of the flip dont line up with the bottom of the frame at all not even close, now i have to drill them out and use bigger bolts. which i guess is best but i would of rather payed the extra 50$ and been able to slap it on and keep moving. thats just my 2 cents. but now that i have it i am pretty pleased i guess its easily adjustable and its pretty beefy.

10. Geargrinder

I am sooooooooo into the built not bought :cool1:
    And after thinking about it for a while last night I decided to make my oun shackle flip kit and shackles. I like the way U did youre's, they look GREAT. I may add some side plates to them, but I OVER BUILD everthing I make :grin:
    That "AK-57" set up looks cool for my F150 trail only rig, but I think it would be a little shakie for my 6000# Burb that will still be towing frome time to time.
    Jonny-K5, The '84 is stock right now, the '86 is dead so I'm gonna pull the front spings and steering corection off it and put it on the '84 3/4T and build it into my new DD/fam trail rig. The '86 is blocks (6") and add-a-leaves (2") in the back. I don't want blocks that big any more, but 1"-3" "0 rate add-a-leaves" (that I would make my self) I could live with.
    U guys are all very helpfull, Thank U!!

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Did you call them and tell Sky that it is not right? When I had a problem they made it right very quickly. The customer service is great from my experience. That is why I recommend them highly.

Harley

12. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i called them just to tell them cuz i didnt want to send it back and have to wait for another one to come i just modified mine to work and its fine now i like there stuff though great prices and came pretty quick i believe 4-5 days from washington to south texas. i bought there rear shock hoop that is actually used for a toyota but they make htem long so u cut them to fit. works just like the missiouri offroad one but it costs 50$ instead of 160$ they also make some nice high steer arms