Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear floor pan tips!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kumma, Aug 11, 2001.

1. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I just installed the rear floor and i can tell you it was pretty easy. i was expecting major problems based on what ive read here, but it was super easy.

Use quality air tools like air chisels, drills and impact wrenches.

The rear of the tail pan on the bottom is an 2 foot lenght which drops down its best to cut this piece off so you can lay the floor in with out raising the body. I did not have to lift the body at all and it droped right into place.

The hardest part was removing the old body bolts but a grinder made short work of it. ill try to post pictures early next week for those interested.

Craig

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Hey, Thanks a ton!!!!!! Mine is coming in on tuesday, and then I'm going to town on my truck. I do have a question though. What did you use for bracing for the body??? I got the GM floor so the tailpan and floor is all one piece. How am I going to get that in there with no support for the body until I get the new on in?? Any help is awesome and pics will ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks again!!!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Yep i used the gm complete floor. I thought about bracing the body but didnt use anything. I measured the distance between the quarters before and after and they were the same. The quarters are quite rigid even with the tail pan cut out. I thought about bolting in a 2x4 on top but it would have limited mobility in the bed.

Im also gonna replace the sening unit as well as rear feul and brake lines since it all open.

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Yea me too, on the lines, but I just did my gas tank and sending unit, so I'll just do the lines on the frame. Did you still have your top on?? You mean to tell me that with no floor, no tail pan, no support at all on the rear half of the truck, the quarters held it?? Anything else you can think of to help me along would be GREATLY apreciated!!!!!! Thanks agian!
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I replace my tailpan w/ the top off, and the quarter posts were flapping all over the place.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

You boys have fun getting the quarters to line up straight? The bottom of my tailgate posts were rusted to nothing so I grafted in the bottoms of an old pickup. Of course all the bolt holes were off a smidge so I just said pi$$ on it and pulled out the come-along, cranked it down, and welded everything in site. Looks real good and should hold better than the bolts. My floor swapped sucked also because the very front area where the bed bolts was rusted out. So I now have 1/8" square tubing for a subframe (make toolman grunt).

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I'd like to see some pics on what you did without lifting the body ????/

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>