Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear floor/tailpan replacment started

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by little79k5, Jun 25, 2002.

1. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

well, started on the FUN project of replacing my tailpan and rear floor yesterday. Not near as bad as I thought!!! yippie! it took about 4 hours to cut (and rip) all of the old stuff out and grind all the rust off the frame. welded in some new supports for well, support, under new floor. have to work all day today so ill have to finish putting the new stuff in tomorrow.
    so all of you who need to do this, dont be intemidateed, its not as hard as i thought.

latr,
    keith /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue">Yup, If I had to do it all over again, it would be a piece of cake ! Good luck with the install ! </font color>

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Did you go with new replacement parts? From GM or an aftermarket jobber? Or are you fabbing your own setup?
    I am facing this right now, and am debating all the different concepts.

Mike

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> I forgot to ask that as well. </font color>

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

The next Jimmy or Blazer I get I don't care if the floor is rotted or not, I know how to fix it and I'll do it again in a heart beat because It'll save me lots of cash. Best of luck to ya!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy

6. little79k5

well guys, got most of it finished. got to put some final touches on it. i got all the parts from jcwhitney and the floor pieces fit ok, but the tailpan , believe it or not, was 1/4" to short. i had to cut it and weld in some steel. i measured it a million times to make sure it wasnt me being stupid, but i extended it and everything bolted up perfect. next time (hopefully never) im going to fab my own.

keith

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well im only 16 and i am facing this job now! cuase im going to need to do this to drve mine and im very scared to do this cuase i have never done anything like this befor! what do i do for the floor supports under the floor..can you buy new ones or is that something you have to come up with on your own? - oh yea..have any pics??

thanx-Bryan

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh yea and exactly what are ALL the tools i will need..what do you do if you dont have a welder??

Bryan

9. little79k5

bryan, im only 19, dont let are young age scare you, i know a lot of 30 year olds that ask me questions about cars.
    anyway, as far as the supports go, i would go with the gm origanal floor with the tailpan attatched from www.gmpartsdirect.com the supports will already be attatched to these as it will not with aftermarket panels. as far as tools, i used various socket sizes, sawzall, grider with cutting blade, big hammer, and you really need a welder to weld the tailpan to the quater panels. i have a cheap craftsmen mig unit that i got for $200 from sears. sorry, i have no pics. but my biggest tip is to buy the ORIGINAL GM piece as it will be easier to install because it will fit perfect.

later
    keith

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea but ive heard that that whole peice all together tailpan and floor and all, is really expensive like 600 or so from there.. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Bryan-later

11. little79k5

from gm it is, from that website its only around 375

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh it doesnt look like they even go that old..for vehicls the oldest i can seem to find is like 1994 for chevy trucks..??

Bryan

14. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

You need to get the parts number from your gm dealer, thats what I did, I don't have the number any more but I know RIZ or someone else will have the part number, once you have that you are in phat city my friend. You really should get the wheel wells that way, you can make it a total bolt in project (providing you don't have any other rust anywhere else) (that would be impossible) so you really need to get a mig or borrow one or at least make up all of the patches you need and pay someone to weld them in. If you haven't seen my pics you need to. Here they are..... http://community.webshots.com/album/22742026nbhEtBOZnc
    Hope this helps ya out. oh yea, by the way, I was 17 when I did it and I would do it again any time.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

really..ok thanx a lot for the help!..my dad has a welder that he could use at work so i would have to get the blazer over there somehow. yes i would love the part number if anyone knows it hear though!!

Btryan-thanx

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oops i dun think the link works. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Bryan

17. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

it should work, I just checked it
    Ben 87 Jimmy

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ah k got it now...man those are some great pics. what else did you have to remove besides the gas tank? and you put the floor tailpan and all in in one peice from gm direct.com right? and what do you mean taking the cross member out..you mean on the frame or something?

thanx!-Bryan

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh yea and what do you use to seal up all the welds and all?

Bryan

20. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

If you look at picture 31 you'll see the top part of my gas tank straps. They bolt to the rear crossmember. That is the crossmember that I needed to take out. Since from the factory they used rivits, I needed to grind them out and replace them with bolts. But that crossmember there, you just can't get the floor in, or I couldn't figure out how that didn't stress the body way way too much. I used 3M Tan sealer to seal the seams, I used this instead of just plain silicone becuase you can paint over it and thats what the factory used and it's very easy to work with and dries quickly. It's expensive but after spending that much on all of the metal, it was nothing. Any more questions I'll gladly answer.
    Ben 87 Jimmy