Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Frame Configuration

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JungleBoy, Aug 28, 2001.

1. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Man, what a surprise! I am fitting my Aerotank (still) and was looking at how to transfer the big bumper off the rear of the 72 K5 to the 71 Jimmy. The Jimmy frame is cut off almost square about 5 inches behind the rear crossmember (the one the light harness passes through). The Blazer frame has a kick down extension which is rounded on the end and is several inches longer. Looking at the (1946-72 Chevrolet) Parts and Accessories Catalog, it seems the Blazer has a Frame Extension while the Jimmy does not. Anyone noticed this before? I would have guessed they used the same frames, but what do I know?
    JB

2. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I looked at my '71 Jimmy and you're right! It is cut off square. I don't have a '71 Chevy Blazer to compare with.I remember seeing a longer wheel based Chevy Blazer '69 or '70 [by the grille] In Tucson about 6 or 8 years ago. It was metalic green w/ white top. I remarked to myself, "Gee. I didnt know they made a K/5 like a CJ-7? Huh?!..."I wonder if the cut off is for a longer frame--which didn't see light of day until the Tahoe generation. I sure don't know.Blue