Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Freeze Plug

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jmpd, Jun 14, 2000.

1. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Well I think the rear freeze plug behind the flex plate finally answered my question on when to pull the motor and rebuild. It started leaking like a small waterfall. I was hoping to do the rebuild in the fall/spring. I'm going to rebuild the motor to the specs of the 330hp crate motor. My buddy will get me a good deal on the rebuild thru his machine shop connection. The current motor is an 88 IROC TPI complete from top to bottom.serpintine, a/c and all.

I guess I had a pretty good run on the motor and truck. I first built the 84blazer in 1991, paint, susp, motor and misc. Not to mention a couple of 700r4, a twelve bolt and a transfer case over the years. The motor 88 TPI had 28k on it when I bought it. About 200 miles after the install I developed a rod knock and pulled it to fix the bottom end. I have since put about 110K on it with no major problems.

I'm keeping the same set up because I love the TPI and mileage. I'm going to rebuild the bottom pretty much the same except for a new cam to match the 330hp crate motor. The heads are the only area I have not made my mind up on. I will either have the heads ported/polished and gone thru, or buy the PaceParts drilled Vortec heads to fit older motors with 12 bolts($478 a pair). I will have to angle the center holes on the manifold(TPI) but that is no big deal.

I am not very happy about spending time in my garage in 110 degree heat in PHX, AZ(but it's a dry heat...yeah right) Well I guess I could stand to lose about 5 pounds (around the mid-section)HAHA this will be my own personal weight lose system. hahaha

Wish me luck
    Michael

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Go with the Vortec heads. You'll get all brand new parts and a head that flows as good or better than most ported stock heads. And probably for less money. A really good porting job costs 40-80 hours of labor. It ain't cheap! Car Craft recently flow tested a bunch of heads and came to the conclusion that the new Vortec heads are the best bang-for-the-buck out there! [​IMG]

BTW, you don't have to pull the engine to replace that freeze plug. You could just drop the tranny and t-case and pop a new plug in there for now.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

4. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Thanks Harry

Yeah I know I can drop the Tranny/Transfer case, but this will get me off my procratinating A$$ and upgrade my motor.

I'm definately leaning toward the Vortec heads,especially after reading about the stock bottom end motor with the cam, headers and etc getting 406hp

The Cam I'm looking at is Crane Cams 2032 #270-104224 270/276 ADV Dur. 452/465 Gross lift, Crane says that it will work with my TPI and the only thing they say to use is an adjustable fuel pressure reg.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Michael

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

TPI can be made to work with just about any engine and cam combo. It just takes the right program in the chip. If your current engine is a TPI 305 you'll also need to upgrade the injectors. The 305 injectors don't flow enough fuel to support more than 275-300 HP.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Sorry, with my lengthy post, I forgot to mention

I have the 350 system.