Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Front Shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by msb350, Aug 29, 2005.

1. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Ok the parts for my 4" lift should be in this week so I can being to go to work. I have been toying with the idea of longer front shackles. It seems like it would be worth it for a better ride and flex but is it doing for a truck that will be on the street more than trails? Also, with longer shackles would I gain more lift or loose a little. Thanks guys.

Matt

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Longer shackles will give you a bit of a lift, something like 1/2" for every 1" of additional lift. I think you can go only an inch or two with a shackle lift though, because it will turn the pinion down too much.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The problem is that it'll screw with your steering geometry. I wouldn't go with any more than shackles that are 1 inch longer, resulting in 1/2" of lift.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

yep for every 1 inch of longer shackles you will get 1/2 inch of lift.problem is any time you do that the pinion tips down in the front and caster angle is oof.so you start getting more bump steer and bad return to center.most people wont go more than 2 inch longer shackles than stock because of this.if you do it will get alittle unstable and you will have to use shims under the springs to bring the pinion back up whjere you want it.ORU has the ones i have on mine.they work good.and were only 80 bucks and came with new bushings.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

longer shackles will reduce flex and ride quality if just bolted in the stock location. They will hurt your shackle angle and that does nothing but hurt flex and ride quality. Yeah you can lift via that method, but as noted, it will throw the Caster more positive and seeing as Chevy trucks have about 7* of caster built into them, we don't need ANY more.

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

what he means is moving the shackle hangar and up and making longer shackles to match. its more for a better shackle angle and more range or motion so it will flex and ride better.

7. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Yea thats what I ment sorry for the mix up. Longer shackles and moving it forward.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it will act like softer springs. So you will have more body roll but better flex and ride.

9. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Sounds good. How bad would the body roll be? I won't be taking corners hard or anything but will I notice a significant difference on turns?

10. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Anyone?

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I did not notice any more body roll after i did mine. It rides smoother though. the bumps are much easier on the back

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

if youi have stock length lift springs, you move the rear mount the same as on a 52" spring swap, and it gives you about the same shackle angle if you run 7.25" shackles. in doing so you greatly increase flex, the front axle has to be moved (easiest w/ a zero rate) forward and you need crossover steering, no ifs and or buts about it. i did this up grade on mine w/ tuff country 4" springs and love it, it much rides better. yeah it has body roll, but remember, its a truck.dont bother doing this or even think about it if you dont do crossover or move the axle forward, your tires will be through the firewall in no time if you dont

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there you go, ha. Experience speaks better then theory.

14. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Thank you! I was wondering about if I had to move the axle forward and I dont have the money to do crossover right now. I just got my 4" tuff country springs today. Im sure they will give a better ride than what I got for now. I was planning on doing crossover eventually just didnt know if it was necessary. Thanks for the info.

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

at first when i dod my lift it was 4" tuff countrys, tc shocks, and shackle flip, road great compared to stock, when i switched to the longer shackles, new shock mounts crossover etc, it was like a whole new world, it does everything i want it to now :D definetly a good upgrade and the tc's have a similar spring rate to 52's so they should flex pretty colse to a 52 and you only have to move 1 set of mounts

16. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

What company did you go with for crossover because this upgrade will be comming fairly soon after the lift? I really like the idea of longer shackles and sounds like a good improvement.

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i went with ord, i have a d60. honestly i wouldnt go anywhere else for my parts, even if i could get them cheaper from somewhere else. i have had terrific dealings with them and they are by far the best company that i have ever dealt with over the phone/ online. All their tech is very knowledgable and they are more than willing to go out of their way to make you happy. i think anyone would agree you CANNOT go wrong if you use them.

18. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

Sounds good thanks for the help.

matt

19. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

no problem, thats what we're here for