Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Gears??

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Itali83, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I was wondering how I could find out what my rear end gear ratio is. My truck is a 87 Jimmy 350 TBI 700r4. Stock axles. Just kinda wondering more than anything else.

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

You can look at specs under coloradok5's home page, and I think there is another link that has a lot of specs. This site is under the links section of coloradok5's site. The truth of the matter is, the best and sure way to get the ration is take off the cover, drain it, and count the teeth. I have heard of another way of doing it by marking the tire at bottom, mark the pinion yoke, and turn the tire so many times to see how many times pinion yoke turns, or vice versa, then find out the ratio by simple turn ratio. Yea, sounded complicated to me too, so I just popped the diff cover and counted teeth. This is what most gear shops will tell you to do anyway. More than likely, you have 3.73, as that was common for the 350, 700r trans. Hope this helped.

Joel

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Look in the glove box at the label that has all the codes on it, if still there. The following are the codes:
    GU2 = 2.73
    GU4 = 3.08
    GU6 = 3.42
    GT4 = 3.73
    GT5 or GT8 = 4.10
    G80 = Gov-lock

As stated above, jack up the rear wheels, mark a tire and the drive shaft, turn the wheel two rotations and count ther rotations of the drive shaft, that will get you close.

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I'll check my glove box first, because I know the sticker is still there. Thanks again.

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I got the GU6 code, 3:42's. Thanks again