Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Glass Replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quackaddict, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

Ok I ordered the back glass that was broken out for my 80 Blazer. Provided everything goes well how hard of a project is it to replace the back glass. Any major things to look out for. Any major headaches? Didn't see anything in the tech articles.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll need the gasket that fits between the glass and the channel that it sits in. I got some of the material from an auto glass shop when I did mine a few years ago.

Take off the inside cover of the tailgate, then roll the window mechanism up part way so you can access the 4 bolts that hold the window channel to the regulator. Remove the channel and clean out the broken glass that's still stuck in it. A thin screwdriver works good for this. Get the gasket material in place and gently tap the channel over the bottom edge of the new glass, using a rubber hammer to minimize the chance of breaking the new glass. Feed the glass and channel back into the tailgate and reinstall the 4 bolts that hold it in place. Replace tailgate cover. :cool1:

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Being from texas, you shouldn't run into anything major. The northern rigs,the sash usally rusts to pieces, the side channels also.

4. Quackaddict

glass

Crap!! When I ordered the part from LMC I knew I should have bought that extra $5 part. Where can I get this gasket locally? What do I ask for?

5. 73k5blazer

The LMC gasket sucked a**. With their sash, and their gasket, it doesn't fit. Too loose. I tried doubling up the gasket, but there wasn't enough. The real GM gasket was a perfect form fit with lips over the edge of the sash. The LMC was a thin piece of rubberized paper cut off a roll. Totally worthless.
    Scratchin my head, I went to my local glass shop and was just going to pay them to install the window in the sash, they handed me a caulk tube of professional glass installtion goo. $5. Lay the bead of goo in the sash, set your glass in, clean up excess. Wait. Done. The stuff they gave me took a long time to dry. I waited overnight, which was enough to install it, but it wasn't completely dry for a couple of days.

6. Quackaddict

just out of curiosity can you still go to the dealership and get the original gasket? probably just get the goo.

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I dont know whether its possible or not but if it isnt possible to hammer the glass into sash with the glass in the tailgate then he'll need to remove the seals on the top of the tailgate to get it back in...

8. 73k5blazer

I looked up the number last winter when I was doing my tailgate. IIRC, I couldn't find it at gmpartsdirect, or on partsvoice. That or the sash. So I turned to LMC.

Guess no one ever used it, glass shops all have their own materials and tricks.

[RANT]
    Got to watch LMC, some of their stuff is real gm parts, some of the stuff they have made just for them and works good, other stuff is just plain crap. You just never know. We should start a thread, what to buy and not to buy from LMC. Their sash worked good with thier window channels with thier window channel gasket. That all fit very well. Their window edge caps, the sash gasket sucked. Their window edge caps were VERY thin plastic with no seal on the underside, the OEM was thick fiberglass and has some additional rubber on the underside. Same for the '73-75 blazer door caps. Totally worthless.
    [/RANT]