Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Glass Shattered

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CJeepFreak84, Feb 16, 2003.

1. CJeepFreak84

CJeepFreak84 Registered Member

The rear sliding glass went on my 87 blazer.. any suggestions other than the obvious? it's a power window and the glass got stuck in the down position and i tried to get it back up and it shattered.. right now i have a clear tarp taped up and am bringing my truck into get it's P-brake fixed monday but was wondering if it would be better to maybe take a tail gate off another blazer with manual windows or something because i'm just worried it will get stuck again... the motor always made that grinding nois that alot of the blazers make... plus since the weather stripping on the tail gate wasn't takein care of by the previous owner water has been getting into it..

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Mine shattered last summer driving down the road.....I got a new glass, put it in and all has been well since......mine is a manual.

3. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

When the glass gets stuck in the down position, there are two ways to raise it back up. Remove the access panel (you probably already knew that) and disconnects the drive cable from the electric motor. You can then try putting the drive cable in a drill or get some vise-grip pliers or something clamped on the cable and turn it up/down by hand.

If this first method fails, you can unbolt the window glass from the raising mechanism altogether. There's an actual strip of metal on the very bottom of the window glass that's held to two arms, one on each side, that push/pull the glass up/down. Two bolts per side link this assembly together, maybe 7/16" wrench? Anyway, if you reach deep down in there and undo the four bolts, the window can be pulled up no matter how jammed up the mechanism is.

Of course, it's a little late for your situation, but maybe you or somebody else can use this info in the future. You can probably fix the electric mechanism with a rebuilt electric motor and a new drive cable. A new cable helps out a ton. Even if other components are worn, the new cable might keep you goin' for a while. My chevy dealer still sells them for about $25.00

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

new glass would be cheaper than a new gate for sure. If you can't find any glass locally cheap you might try ezfindparts.com I ordered one from them a while back for $130 shipped.

You also might want to check your side tracks inside the gate. Mine are rusted pretty bad and are about to be replace because the window gets hung up quite often because of them. LMC has them in the catalog for about 50 bucks per side for brand new ones. I'm still searching for the best deal on those.

I also might have a rear glass in the parts blazer I just picked up.

5. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

A clear tarp makes a nice looking rear window. Just make sure you use the camo duct tape instead of the silver. It looks much more stylish. Joking, I had it on my side window after accidentally shooting it out in a freak hunting accident. Easiest thing is to find a donor vehicle. Have you checked the price of new replacements?

6. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

I have a rear glass and manual regulator or you can retrofit to a lift up camper top glass like i did.It took some work to cut the opening but it was well worth the effort.No rattles and it looks nice.I have a post up now for it and i am getting pics developed...should have pics up this week. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif