Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear hatch for 71 Blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Entropy, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Entropy

Entropy Registered Member

Hi all,

The rear hatch on my 71 Blazer is about shot. The fiberglass has cracked and splintered several years ago on the backside behind the handle. I've reinforced it over the years with some jury-rigging, but it's getting progressivly worse.

My question is: Is it possible to repair/overhaul this, or is it wiser to try to find a good used or (hopefully) new aftermarket hatch? How much do these things cost?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Andy

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

A repop of the plastic portion of the lift gate is available from most of the usual sources (Chevy Duty, LMC, Golden State, Brothers, etc.). It is expensive (about $375-$450) and does not include any of the metal parts (hinges, latches, pushrods, etc.).

3. Entropy

Entropy Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping to possibly restore it, but perhaps it's not worth it. Looks like I'll have to have a $$ talk with the wife again! :)

Andy

4. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Check with an experienced body person about having yours rebuilt. I met a guy here that will completely rebuild mine for under $250. My hatch is in similar condition, if not worse.

5. 72CSTBlazer

72CSTBlazer Registered Member

Make that one more hatch in BAD shape!

6. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

hello all,
    I have a complete 71 jimmy roof and hatch, can't remember if all the glass is in it or not. The roof does have some damage due to the wind playing with it while it was off the truck, ie-crack from leading edge back about 8 inches long on outer skin. the hatch is there and should have the handle/mechanism, as far as I can remember(it's been a couple years since i looked at it.)from my memory, the only thing wrong with the hatch is a hole about 2 1/2 inches on the upper right side(from a trailer ball going through it....not a good anchor point for a tow strap-never hook on the trailer ball) into the outer skin of the hatch. I can take digital pics of it once the snow goes down a bit, if anyone is interested....now here's the bad news....it's located in manitoba, canada....about 45 minutes east of winnipeg....can ship the hatch freight collect, but if you want the whole top you have to pick it up.....thanks..ED

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Ed,I grew up in Winnipeg.My family is still there.I'll be in the "peg" this christmas.If you don't get any takers,e-mail me with your e-mail address and I'll come check it out when I'm there.Exactly where are you at?Thanks,Bob.Knight blazbk@excite.com

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>