Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Hatch

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wabash, May 6, 2001.

1. Wabash

Wabash Registered Member

ON the rear hatch of my blazer the whole inside assembly is ruined, i cant lock the back and it doesnt close properly. The rods inside are bent,i tried fixing it but its useless. If anyone has a complete assembly,or knows where to get one please let me know.
    Thanks

2. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

You might try talking to Abe at www.vintageblazer.com. He's in San Francisco. I drove out there from Tucson AZ on a Blazer Parts quest and Abe was able to set me up with the right stuff. His prices were reasonable.
    Hatches can be a real bitch. Mine got shredded when the handle caught on an overhead guywire (it was in the UP position because I was hauling some "free" pvc culvert pipe) and parts and shards went all over the desert.
    Good luck,
    Brian

3. 69AZBlazer

69AZBlazer Registered Member

How much did that "free" PVC cost? My lock also does not work. The keys to the doors and ignition must have been replaced or the top is not original. I have never seen a replacement in a catalog. Has anyone else? Do I have to go to a locksmith?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 69AZBlazer on 05/08/01 12:52 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I did not get a key for the rear hatch when I got my JIMMY. I just tried a few different Keys, and found the one for my Stanley garage door work like it was made for it. Try keys from tool boxes, service body trucks, campers or garage doors. good luck

5. BluThndr71JMMY

Let's see what the "free PVC" cost me:
    New repop hatch (bare) $390.00 [plus road trip to Corona,Cal]
    Window Gasket $45
    Hatch Weatherseal $30
    Hatch Grommets $20
    Glass Install Labor $20
    Used '69 interior lock mechanism. L & R Relay Rods, R & L Latches $50 [plus road trip to SF]
    Looks like five and a half, at least, not counting beer for bribing buddies, numerous trips to the weird parts section at ace hardware and assorted jesus clips from checker auto.
    I was able to re-use my vintage rear window (w/Semper Fi decal and US Flag still attached) so that saved me at least $80. Also the knob and lock tumbler shaft were reusable.
    Satisfaction at hearing my catches pop open right: Priceless.
    Incidently, since the tops were considered an "Auxiliary" RPO by GM they had a different Key than the Doors/Ignition locksets.
    A locksmith could change it out for you, so all keys are the same, I guess. And if I didn't want to screw the pooch, I would take it to a pro if I had no key.
    Funny, I remember when the GM glovebox key to my 68 pickup used to work on the forklift at work, til they changed it out!!

6. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Golden State Pickup Parts has a rear door handle for 69-72 Blazers. Part #LB114, I called them a while back and they said that it included the key and lock assy. Price is cheap, $14.95. I would call them to verify before ordering just to make sure. When I called they actually had to go pull one off the shelf. Hope this helps.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.gspp.com>http://www.gspp.com</A>
    1-800-235-5717

Travis

7. clarkekent

clarkekent Registered Member

If I am not mistaken, the liftgate rods are same used to prop up older corvette hoods, maybe longer or shorter though

8. BluThndr71JMMY

Careful on Relay Rods, They are even different in a '67 Suburban Liftgate from a '71 Jimmy Hatch. I know.I've already tried it.
    They may look very similiar, but the bends and lengths are subtly different.
    This is not to say a desperate person could not experiment with 3/16" (+or_) steel wire and duplicate a known good one from a donor or prototype to fabricate new Relay Rods. A Corvette part sounds too wild to work, but then they were all made out of the same stuff at the same plants, so I don't know. Could be. I'm a Vette Virgin.
    The Latches from a 67/72 Suburban Liftgate are so similiar as to be a good candidate for field cannibalization and modification into K/5 Hatch Latches. You do have to flatten out the countersunk bolt holes and grind off one corner. as well as use a rattail file to open up the holes to match. Some K/5 Latches ('69) have 4 Bolts and some ('71) have 3. Also they swap Left for Right and viceversa. I mean a Drivers Side Sub tailgate Latch becomes a Passenger side Blazer hatch Latch -- Catch on?
    Natch'!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BluThndr71Jmmy on 05/10/01 03:13 PM (server time).</FONT></P>