Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear interior panels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy'sjimmy, Dec 12, 2004.

1. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

just wondering if anyone has made their own panels. mine are so rotten that the speakers keep falling out of the panel. i had my heart set on some diamond plate panels but that is way out of my budget. any advice or pics would be greatly appreciated.

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

take yours out and use them as a template. Then trace onto your material of choice and cut away. I replace mine with plywood and covered it all in carpet. Looked nice and held speakers and what ever else I wanted to bolt to it very nicely.

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine with 5/8" MDF. Works great!

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine with invisi-panels :grin: Little more cargo space that was, and one less thing to hold in moisture and whatnot.

5. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

diamond plate alum thin 4x8 sheet will do more than your back pannels ( the bottoms of the doors and such) thing is it only needs to be thin so that saves cost and realy when you price stock replacements the alum is cheaper im going to buy 2 sheets and make rocker gaurds as well for the outside like the crome stick on kind

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I redo my interior I am going to buy a sheet of 1/2" foam and trace out a long flame pattern out of it. I will then use an adhesive to hold it against a backing that I have not chosen yet and cover it completely in black carpet to reveal 3D flames! :cool:

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I made a set out of fiberglass and then herculined them.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I made mine out of 3/4" MDF and covered it in the same foam-backed headliner material that I did my headliner with. Each side holds two 6x9 speakers and a 10" sub. One of the amps is mounted inside one and there is a little cutaway where the crossover network can be adjusted. It's pretty decent, but it is definately on the low-end as far as cabinet volume goes, which makes choosing subs rather tricky. Also it adds weight. I had some pictures of it up, but they got deleted.

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I took all mine out... replaced them with... Nothing.:)

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I was stinking about this ... how'd you do the 'glas? Can you get it pre-gooed in sheets, or did you lay it out on a form, or ... ?

-- A

11. mud hungry

mud hungry 1/2 ton status

Where can you get the actual oem style replacments for them? anyone know?

12. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about doin this to mine. Have you noticed an increase in road noise with them not there?

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

with mine gone you hear everything.of course i have no carpet and rusted floors.i patched them pretty good.i hear every road noise.any time a rock gets thrown up by the tires it bangs into the truck.eventually i will be making some side panels and bed liner everything.

14. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm about to do this.. i'll be using composite glass we use at the marina. comes in 4' x 8' sheets in many thicknesses.. i'm gonna use 3/16"..

stuff is incredible.. its machine extruded and dense as hell.. ya cut it with a diamond tipped circular saw.. far better than any handlaid glass could ever be. its also what i'm using on my console..

should be nice cuz its imperveous to water. paintable too.. we store it outdoors for years and it laughs at it.. pricey tho... i'm using some leftovers from a recent job...

this is the stuff here.... http://www.pultrude.com/stand.html

15. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did this recently in my old K5. Use the factory as a template for the cuts. If you are taking out the carpet or adding the liner, use cardboard or masonite for fitment help. For the final product I used 3/16" luan that is moisture resistant. Stain and seal to your satisfaction. Next time I will probably use lexan or the like and cover it with some sort of upholstery. Hope it goes well.

16. blazen86

blazen86 Registered Member

I covered mine in Subwoofer box carpet, cost was 25 buck for a huge roll of it at Crutchfield and thats all there was to it. Very cheap and looks REALLY nice. Ohh and I also added some Alpine 6x9s bolted to a small cut out of wood and then sound deadened the cardboard and the metal.

17. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

thanks guys im going to get on it as soon as finals are over. i think im going to use MDf and cover em in carpet for sub boxes. i think i am going to mount the speakers where the ashtrays are and put a small piece of diamond plate to mount the amp. but will the MDF rot or anything?

18. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

MDF will be alright as long as it never gets wet. Once that happens it will begin to swell depending on moisture content.

19. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I went to a fiberglass shop and they took a peice of plywood and coated it with wax. Then they shot it with the fiberglass chop gun. Couple passes and it was like an 1/8" thick. Nice and lightweight. Then I put my patterns on there and cut them out with a jig saw. There is all kinds of different material that will work though.

K-lite (basically fiberglass)
    aluminum
    Plexiglass would be cool if you did it right.