Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear interior panels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Schwabie, May 14, 2003.

1. Blazer_Schwabie

Blazer_Schwabie Registered Member

im looking for replacment rear panels for my 1980 blazer. where could i find new ones at /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

i searched through my LMC and Chevy Duty catalogs but couldn't find any, if i find out anything i'll let yah know

3. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

Classsic Industries carries them for the 85-91 models. They are expensive though... $110 per side and they are offered in several colors. Download a catalog here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

if you've got the old ones, just use them as a template to cut out some new ones.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you've got the old ones, just use them as a template to cut out some new ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that. Get a sheet of masonite and cut it out from the old one. Then cover it in some carpet. Works great for me.

John

6. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

If you make a templet , let me borrow it.I threw mine away and now need to make some panels too.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Blazer_Schwabie

Blazer_Schwabie Registered Member

If i make a template where do i get new upholstery or new cardboard, cause its really tore up.if anyone has any ideas on how to make new ones then dont be shy, please share /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

or just take em out and line the bed with herculiner/duplicolor/line-X/Rhinoliner. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I made half-panels for mine... they go to about mid-wheel-well. I just took some 1/4" ply. cut it in the shape of the original panel, water sealed the living be-jeebers out of it, painted it, and then covered it with black vinyl. Pics in web shots. werks for me,

j

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Masonite 1/4" or use some 1/2" MDF. Purchased at Lowes/Home Depot. One sheet is enough for both panels.

Carpet. Your choice of colors. Can get at the local auto parts store. Its usually not good enough for floors but looks great on the side panels. Carpet the whole panel.

Spray contact adhesive. (2 cans) Local auto parts store

Staple gun with staples

Scissors/Knife

Also use the old panel to mark the screw locations

3/4" sheet metal screws with some trim washers.

Plus I threw some foil backed insulation on the sidewall to keep it quiet.

Now you can put your speakers anywhere on the panel.

Any other questions please let me know. I have have used masonite three times on different trucks with excellent results.

John [​IMG]

10. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Or you could come pick the ones up that are laying in my garage. It's not far... I swear! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I could use a template as well, if anyone has a set sitting around you want to trace them for me i would be willing to pay a resonable amount for your time and shipping costs. thanks, rugger

12. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I made mine from 1/16" ABS plastic...
    It has a vinyl look (grain)
    A 4x8 sheet was $30...
    And I dyed them. (the plastic is black) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a pic...you can catch the front of the panels.
    [​IMG]

13. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Where do you get the plastic from?

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Geez. I threw my panels away awhile ago.

But first I used them as templates. The new ones are 1/4" plywood with an oak face. I just finished them up as wood since I have oak in place of all the factory aluminum trim. Then I mounted speakers in them. 1 pair in the back similar to the factory, except high up. The other pair is at the same height, but up in front of the back seat. The other plus is then no 4x10 speakers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You just cut for whatever you want. I may go back someday and cover them with matching carpet. I don't know if the oak is nice or cheesy. Behind the panels is filled with fiberglass insulation.

If I was starting over, I would build side panels out of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF, cover them with carpet the same as on the floor and mount the subwoofers in them as well to gain more cargo space. The amplifiers could also be mounted inside the panels to thwart theft, but there could be cooling problems.

I just see that there is a lot of space behind the panels and it would be nice to use it for storage or speakers or something.