Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear leaf spring question??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Monster, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Monster

Monster Registered Member

My 86 K5 has 4"blocks in the rear for the lift.I want to remove them by adding a larger leaf.Thought about the shakle flip but it looks easier just to change the leaf spring.

Does anyone know what size leaf spring I would need to get rid of those blocks.Any recomendation on what brand spring??
    What website to buy them from??

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

What brand are in the front? Might be a good idea to get the same kind as the front so they match spring rates. And the shackle flip from what I have seen is actually not very difficult. If your rear springs are old and saggy though I would say go with new ones.

3. Monster

rancho springs up front. the old rear springs do sag a little thats why I would like to replace them. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Thats the same reason I went with new springs for my 4" lift, plus I use my truck to haul my dirt-bike, amongst other things and also use it to tow, so I was worried about the strength of the shackle flip.

Maybe you should get some Rancho springs for the rear, not sure if having different springs will make much of a difference though. Probably not unless you want it to have about the same ride quality front and rear.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Several members and I just shackled flip mine. The ride is great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Seems just changing factory geometry turned my harsh stock springs into ez ridin' springs. You may need longer shocks than 4 inch lift ones as I did though. The ORD kit is strongest and your right just doing springs is easiest . But the flip is cheaper and springs can be had at any junkyard if you break or yours sag too much.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: Rear leaf spring question?? *DELETED*

Post deleted by 4xcrazy

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

just a fare warning,

if you plan to swap out your rear springs plan on haveing a torch and a sawzaw ready, your bolts will likly be rusted/frozen to the spring bushings and they wont come out easy. I also recommend the shackle flip as the ride is great with it, either way though those bolts will suck big doggie doodoo /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

the shackle flip is cheaper too /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Monster

I will think more about the shakel flip.
    for the bolts on the leafs sawzaw to the rescue /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif