Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear leaf springs with full length anti-friction inserts??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Apr 6, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Didn't the rear leaf springs on Blazers come with full length anti-friction inserts (teflon?) starting in '89?
    I've taken the rear spring pack apart to get rid of the rust (belt sander + POR15=real fun); on my '85, the inserts were at the ends only and in the middle between the overload leaf and the next leaf. I thought I might replace the inserts when I put the pack together; could I use the full-length stuff from the later years? thanks, michael

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what the factory did on trucks but I'm planning on getting a roll of UHMW Polyethylene Tape to put between my leaves next time I have them apart.

It's actually pretty cheap stuff. You can buy it on-line at http://www.mcmaster.com/ or from some spring shops.

Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene is usually used in factories and packaging plants to provide a nice gliding surface for packages. Folks have been sandwiching this stuff between their leaves for a better ride on everything from Land-Rovers to farm tractors and most seem to be happy with the results.

I started looking into this stuff when I saw <font color="orange"> jekbrown's </font>writeup of his axle swap. He was able to buy the stuff at a local plastics shop.

3. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Thanks a bunch for the info, just ordered a 3" roll.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wow, i was referenced!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UHMWPE is great stuff... i highly recommend it whenever you find yourself rebuilding a set of springs.

j

6. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What thickness UHMW are you guys running - 0.030" or 0.060"?

Thanks

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

mine is 0.060... but the 30 stuff is just as good and its cheaper to. the ONLY reason I went 060 is because the place i got mine from didnt have the 030 stuff in-stock that day and I was in a hurry. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

8. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks man -

I think I might have to get some of that this week! How wide did you get it? Is it pretty sticky stuff?