Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear lift blocks, how much, where, time involved

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swampblazer, May 6, 2003.

1. swampblazer

swampblazer Registered Member

hey all. i have a 88 K-5 with stock syspension, the rear is saggin a little more than the front i have 33-12.5-15's on it and i need to lift the rear 2'' with blocks. anyone have any idea on price, labor, time??? need to know soon
    thanx /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I personally would replace the springs. Yes, alot of people use blocks, but after having blocks on worn out springs, I'll never use blocks again !!!! Being that your springs are worn out, now's a good time to consitter a real suspension lift. It all comes down to what you want to use your truck for, befor you figure lift and tire size.

3. swampblazer

its primarally going to be a mild off road truck but i just need to do a quick fix cause it looks stupid with the rear sagging about an inch more than the front
    i am saving for a rancho 4' spring lift this summer, just need blocks for now

4. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

You could try some zero rates. They'd lift the rear an inch or so, and you could use them with your 4" lift later on too!

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I'd go with zero rates too.

if you are dead-set on blocks, most major lift manufacturers make them... superlift, ranch, procomp etc prolly all have what you want. Not sure how much they cost... but you could prolly find some used ones here on ck5 from peeps that have taken them off. Labor? you're gonna do this yourself... right? seriously, paying someone else to install lift blocks is silly, unless you are just rich and dont care about the $ or something. They are pretty simple to install, just get the frame up on jackstands, support the axle, take off the ubolts, drop the axle, put the blocks in, attach the axle back to the spring with u-bolts (may need new longer ones), drop everything back down and drive. retorque bolts after 50-100 miles and you're good.

anyway, I'd highly recommend just calling up Dr. Watson over at ORD and getting a set of zero rates. He can answer any installation questions you might have...

j

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

You can get the blocks from JC Whitney for about $50 IIRC. Plus they come with new u-bolts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

7. swampblazer

im going to do the job myself just that i wanted to know how long it was going to take. cause i know the old u-bolts are going to be junk! thanx everyone

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if you wanna make some quick work out of it..get some new u-bolts and hardware and just cut the old u-bolts right out..

9. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

What is IIRC?

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If I Recall Correctly.

11. k5blaze7

k5blaze7 Registered Member

we went to autozone to get blocks for my friends mazda when we lowered it and the blocks were only like 25 bucks with new ubolts so if ur gettin rancho 4 inch suspension lift this summer go cheap blocks i guess just dont get aluminum blocks cuz the WILL SHATTER easy get steel if u can but there only like 25 bucks at a part store that probably be best bet if ur goin cheap

12. k5blaze7

i have a ? how did u get 33's to fit with out rubbing i have a 78 k5 and i am stock hieght and runnin 31 10.50 15's and when u turn the wheel all the way there is like a hardly any clearance and doesnt look like 33's would fit wiht out shaving fenders but i know the rear will fit
    im not to worried about it though cuz its goin 6 suspension and 3 body and runnin 35's on street and what ever will fit for pleasure
    so just wonderin how 33 fit

13. k5blaze7

get all new [censored] and jack up the truck and get a grinder cut ur u bolts cuz THERE A BITCH to get off after so long and then throw the blocks in and put bolts in ur lookin at an hour ive done it in 20 mins but ive done it before so id say hour

14. k5blaze7

also ur plate that the u bolts bolt down on might not line up perfectly with the new the new u bolts so best bet is get a big ass pair of channel locks and squeeze them to were they line up and slide them in cuz that cold rolled steel is a bitch to bend by hand channel locks make it easier

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

4wp wanted somewhere around 40 bucks for 3 1/2" lift blocks only.

16. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Stupid question? Can I put blocks up front too?

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You can, its not safe. There was a blazer at work, had em up front and welded to the axle, I guess he figured they'd be safe that way. Ha ha.

18. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

So, if I want to run 33s, and threw in 2" blocks rear and a zero rate front, would it work?

19. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a ? how did u get 33's to fit with out rubbing i have a 78 k5 and i am stock hieght and runnin 31 10.50 15's and when u turn the wheel all the way there is like a hardly any clearance and doesnt look like 33's would fit wiht out shaving fenders but i know the rear will fit

[/ QUOTE ]
    Two answers.
    Your springs are 10 Years older than his so they probably have a little more sag to them.
    Not all 33's are the same height and most arn't even really 33" tall.

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Stupid question? Can I put blocks up front too?

[/ QUOTE ]
    NO IT'S UNSAFE AN ILLEGAL Don't cut corners when it comes to lifting Your suspention buy new front springs.