Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear lift springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 20, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a pair of 52" rear 8" lift springs. They came with a pair of 4" blocks in a 12" lift kit.

The '81 Crew Cab I want to put the lift under has the 56" rear springs, so I was expecting to have to re-locate the rear shackle hanger, and probably do a shackle flip while I was at it, to eliminate the 4" block.

Anyway, a friend brought up the idea, instead of doing all the re-locating, to unbolt all the leaf springs leaving the main top spring (on both the stock truck springs and the lift springs). Then take all the unbolted arched lift springs and bolt them underneath the main 56" stock leaf already in the truck.

Did anyone even understand what I was trying to explain? Sorry if I wrote that a bit confusing. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Anyone think that is a feasible idea? Or should I just go through re-locating spring hangers?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I understand the idea, and I'd be interested to see if it works. Sounds very feasible.
    I think that whatever you do, you'll want to keep 56" long rears. With that much lift, it will help out with keeping the ride a little softer.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I completely understand what you want to do, and the only thing I would se is that if you only leave the main leaf from the 56" you will have a big gap on both ends which could be too much on one leaf, but if you use the main leaf and the one under it, with the other leaves from the other spring, maybe one removed, then you should have a nice spring that should flex better.
    You could experiment with number of leaves too.

4. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Not to be a pessimist, but I doubt it'll work...great idea, but doubtful. That top 56" leaf may not be long enough...basically arched leaf springs like an 8" are pretty long in the beginnning and if you were to flatten them to stock you'd see.
    I don't know for sure, but for craps and giggles try it. Course the flip-kit might give you a better driveline angle with a 12" (speaking of the lift and not... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) and give some of our friendly fabricators some business /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif