Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear locker ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chrisblazzer89, Dec 3, 2006.

?

What would you choose

1. Detroit E-Z locker

14.7%
  2. Powertrax Lock-Right locker

85.3%
  1. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Which locker should I go with for my 10B rear. I hits mild trail riding and alot of mud. So wat do you guys think I should go with between these 2 Detroit E-Z locker or a Powertrax Lock-Right locker?

PS: If it helps I have 33x12.50 r15 Dunlop mudrovers (soon to be BFG M/T).

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Although I have no experience with the detroit ez locker, I have heard some people say it sucks. I have a regular full detroit locker in my 14ff rear and love it. I wouldnt recommend spending $500 on a locker for a 10 bolt though. Thats why I voted for the lockright. I have one in my front 10 bolt and I like it. It was cheap, easy to put in, and works good on the trail. Go with the lockright.
    -Harrison

3. Chrisblazzer89

mined if i add you to my aim buddylist 87BrnRsd?

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

yea i wouldnt run a detroit unless ur running 1ton gear. ive heard lots of good things bout lockrites in fronts, dont see why they wouldnt be good in back, and its cheaper than the detroit

5. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

my buddy just put a powertrax in on his 10b. easy install.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Sure go ahead. my aim s/n is dkbmxr47
    -Harrison

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

OOPS, I voted Detroit, but I really meant Lockright

8. Chrisblazzer89

9. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

id be careful i blew my ring and pinion w/ stock everything but 33 bfg mts. ima stick w/ my factory limited slip and lock the front. a front locker helps alot while climbing over stuff. but id say lock-rite

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Its always better to lock the rear first. Limited slips are useless imho. Put one tire on a rock with a lsd, let the other hang in the air, and your stuck. I would reconsider locking the front first if I were you. Not just front lockers, any locker is gonna help a lot while climbing over stuff. Locking the front will only lead to front breakage earlier. Plus, if you lock the rear, you will be able to run in 2wd for most of the places you used to run 4wd, thus increasing your gas mileage on the trail, and not making you get out to lock the hubs every five seconds.
    -Harrison

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  11. FoolSizeK5

FoolSizeK5 Registered Member

I have two lock-rights for my 10 bolts with 3.08 and i think there good for 3.73 also. All my research said there the best of the budget lockers and i heard alot bad about the EZ lockers. Only reason i never put them in is my trail toy blazer with Vortec 350 and 4" lift just became my daily driver and tow rig. Going with a one ton rear. So i can tow my new trail toy and the boat my wife want's to get. Alot of people i talked to on hear last year ran the lock rights in 10 bolts with 33 in tires with great success. Would be willing to ship both of mine for 425 if your interested still new in the box.

12. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

i was goin w/ the reason of the front tires touch the object first so to have them both pull will pull u over a object right?? and its easier to pull then push right?

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was talking about the full detroit locker. They are pretty much the standard to compare all other lockers to in hardcore fourwheeling, and probably the best/strongest locker you can buy. They run anywhere from about $400-$600. I wouldnt recommend spending the coin for the full detroit in a 1/2 ton rear though. My 10 bolt lockright was only $229 with free shipping from jegs. Prices may have gone up a little (I bought mine a year ago). Either way, from what I have heard of the ez locker, i would spend the extra $40 on a lockright. Even though looking at a diagram of the ez locker, it looks very similar to the lockright.

This is the real detroit locker:
    http://www.detroitlocker.com/DL.htm
    I wouldnt run anything else in the rear of my k5 (1 ton 14ff). It simply reads your mind offroad.:bow:
    -Harrison

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Just because the front tires touch objects first doesnt mean that its best to lock the front. In all the times ive been wheeling, ive come to a situation where I had the front wheels up a large ledge no problem, it was the rears that are hardest to finally get up. This is my personal opinion. Make a post in the garage as to which end most of the people on here prefer to lock first. That, and its a lot easier to break the axle that turns (the front axle) with a locker than one that always has the wheels going straight..
    -Harrison

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Although im running a 14ff rear with a detroit (allows me to hammer it in 2wd VERY hard before having to use my locked front), im running a lockright on a front 10 bolt with 37's. It is holding up fine to my pretty tough abuse. The warn hubs however blew the first trip I took with it locked up front.
    -Harrison

16. Chrisblazzer89

17. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Lock-Right by far. Easy to install. Maintenance free. They are just a little noisy when engaging. No big deal. Least that was the mannerisms for the Toyota's.

Manny

If you ever change axles, aka 14 Bolt, Detroit it all the way!

18. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on putting a lockright in my front over Christmas Break, my rear has a govlock in it or I would lock that up first. Everything I have heard has favored the lock right over the ez locker.

19. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

60/40 torque split?

I'm still trying to figure out who makes this trick limited slip transfer case that splits the torque 60/40:doah: -Allen

20. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

My bad..brain fart. Ive been hanging around too many awd vehicles lately. Nobody has real trucks with real t-cases like our anymore.:doah: I still believe in locking up the rear first....that why I weeled with a locked rear and open front for 2 years before getting a front locker.
    -Harrison