Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear, lower shock mounts on a 12B

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I am in the process of trying to replace my shock mount hardware and I ran into a problem yesterday.

First some background. I bought the truck with the recently installed lift and matching Rough Country shocks. The guys never had the truck on the road so the lift had no miles on it. I was under there playing with the e-brake cable and noticed the passenger side, lower shock mount bolt was MUCH different than the driver's side one (smaller and newer looking). So I figured the PO had grabbed the closest bolt when putting the lift shocks on. So I planned on replacing all the hardware. That turned out to be a good idea since when I went out on Sat to size all of the hardware, that bolt had come out last time I had driven it and the shock was kinda just hanging around /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif . So I grabbed one of every bolt to take with me to buy new ones.

I bought all new hardware with more or less no problems. I went out yesterday to put the bolts in. I checked the torque in my service manual and also the "recommend bolt torque" for my grade 8 bolts and had planned on cranking it down to about 110 ft. lbs. I put in the bolt on the driver's side with the nut and lock washer and started cranking down. Way before I got to my torque, I noticed the shock mount tabs were bending!!!

Apparently the shock mount is wider than the RC shock by about a 1/4" on each side. So as I was cranking it down, the tabs were just bending in toward the shock.

So the obvious question is what do I do? I don't want to bend the mounts all the way in to the shock and weaken the tabs so I knock them right off the first time I bottom out the shock. But I don't want a repeat performance of the shock-dangling incident.

Another shock question I have: When I crank down the bolt on the shock, how much am I supposed to squish the rubber bushing. There's no way I can get the "Correct" torque on it without completely squishin the bushin /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif .

On a related note, does anyone have any experiece with the Missouri OR Outfitter shock mount kit? I can't tell from the picture (and without my truck in front of me) where the top crossmember mounts on the truck? I really don't like my top mounts in the rear so if my lower mounts are questionable, I might get this kit.

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Our kit bolts inside the frame rail centered over the axle. The actual height of the crossmember can be moved up and down somewhat, most prefer to mount it as high as possible. The crossmember is made using two outside mounts and a center section. This design allows for variations in frame widths. We have found up to 3/4" difference in widths. The crossmember mounts with four 3/8" bolts through the vertical member of the frame rail which is significantly stronger than mounting to the lower lip of the frame and does not weaken the frame by welding to it. Drill templates are included for easy reference.

A note on your existing shock problem---- there should be steel sleeves inside the poly bushing that extend past the poly and fit snug between the shock tabs. This allows proper torque without compressing the poly bushings.

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks much for the help Steve. Some of the shocks had steel sleeves and others didn't. I don't think any of them had a sleeve that extended all the way to the edge of the bushing.

I sent you a PM too Steve.

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

A note on your existing shock problem---- there should be steel sleeves inside the poly bushing that extend past the poly and fit snug between the shock tabs. This allows proper torque without compressing the poly bushings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question on these sleeves, are they on there from the factory, or do they come with the shocks when you get aftermarket shocks? I was hoping to just find some hardware (i.e., metal sleeves/bushings) but can't find anything with a 1/2" and 9/16" inner diameter with an 1-1/2" length. So I was going to call either a GM dealer or Rough Country (where the shocks came from) and I didn't know where they should have come from originally. Thanks!!

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

There are usually a set of sleeves that come with the shocks. Usually an assortment of sizes.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

some have sleeves and some dont, but still cant say for sure if all had them from factory.

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

Apparently the shock mount is wider than the RC shock by about a 1/4" on each side. So as I was cranking it down, the tabs were just bending in toward the shock.

So the obvious question is what do I do? I don't want to bend the mounts all the way in to the shock and weaken the tabs so I knock them right off the first time I bottom out the shock. But I don't want a repeat performance of the shock-dangling incident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Washers.