Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear mai seal help needed

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2L Jimmy, Aug 9, 2003.

1. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi All,

I am stumped now....I just got my 89 Jimmy/6.2L back from the garage yesterday from having the rear main seal replaced with a new G.M. seal and the mechanic told me that there was no seal at all when he took it apart. He just pushed the new seal (2-piece)in the block and it slid right through to the opposite end with nothing being pushed out of the seal passage.Wierd. Anyways the new seal is in and the truck is still leaking like it was before.Is there something that can be causing this leak to happen by internal pressure or something like that? All opinions are welcome as I have to fix this problem very soon as it is destroying my driveway and even worse is a mojor risk to the engine.I even had a new oilpan installed aswell. Any ideas???
    Thanks
    Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you paid to have it fixed and it is still puking oil then take it back...don't they stand behind their work?

Rene

3. 6.2L Jimmy

Well it was done in a home garage by a certified mechanic so there is no guarantee but I also paid a fraction of the price I was quoted elsewhere. I laughed my a$$ off when I called G.M. for a price quote to do the job and they qouted 33.00 Cdn for the part and 903.00 to install it. This guy did it for 100.00 . We are supposed to meet up in a week after his vacation (next week) and look at the problem. Also are oil pan gaskets really required?
    Thanks again
    Mike

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

oil pan gaskets are not required, and inmo shouldn't be used rtv works much better. I personally like a product called right stuff for valve covers and oil pans. Rear mains are pretty easy to install on these, I would be worried that he didnt find a seal at all, you must have been spewing oil every where. You should also see if your CDR valve is functioning properly.

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I take it you have gone ot the car wash and cleaned everything off really good and have found the place where its dumping oil at? Did you happen to check the oil sender on the back drivers side of the engine? Might be loose and spewing everywhere!!

6. 6.2L Jimmy

Yes it was well cleaned and the leak comes from the center of the rear of the oilpan. Where do I find the cdr valve???
    Thanks
    mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

alright, not having a seal in there just means that you probably had the old rope style seal and it fell apart and disinigrated.... Mine did the same thing, no biggy..... Now about the other leak... You said you washed it, you said you put a new pan on it... Where it's leaking, after you washed it... Is oil coming out of the weep hole in the inspection cover for the tranny? If the oil is coming out of that hole, it's a rear main again and he ****ed it up... If the oil is coming down the back of the oil pan, and then spreading onto the inspection cover cause it blows while you drive... It's the pan gasket.... Now I also am assuming that you've looked real carefully up the side of the engine around the oil cooler lines... If the lines came loose, or the oil pressure sending unit is leaking, the oil will run down the back of the block and into the inspection cover from the top.... Which will make it look like a rear main...... Basically, it all boils down to washing it REAL WELL, and then letting it run while you're under it so you can see where it's coming from (Without driving it inbetween)!!!!! If you don't drive it from the spot you washed it at, the engine can't blow the oil anywhere..... There you go!