Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear mail seal-6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rustyk5, Aug 4, 2003.

1. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

Just purchased an 85 blazer that i'm am restoring. It leaks oil(only when running) from the front and rear parts of the oilpan. I'm confident I can do the oilpan gasket, I'd like info on the rear main seal. My engine has 150k--I think. All the manuals I have read indicate 2 types of gaskets, rope neoprene. Any favorites? Pro's con's? Thanks for any info.
    P.S. The Idea about tech articles for the forum would be sweet!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In regards to the tech article's...don't be shy. Take a few pictures and make a few notes and I'll gladly make it sticky. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for the rear main seal, I think the neoprene is a better seal. However I'm not sure that the boss for the seal allows you to choose. I could be mistaken (I haven't had to do a rear main yet /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Anyways, as usual someone that knows more will come along soon enough with the inside info you need.

Welcome to CK5!

rene

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I don't know what it came with, as when I got my rear main cap off there wasn't a thing there to seal it.... But I put a neopreum one in and it seals like a tightrubber gasket! It's not hard to do at all! I've done a couple, just take your time and if you can, buy two rear seals, use 3 of the halfs to make sure the top part is done to your highest specs, and then slap the cap back on! Get a hard piece of plastic or no mar rod to push the old out with! Then start working the new in! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

Thanks for the info! It didnt seem to complicated in the manuals, but sometimes it is easier to write a paragraph and throw in a picture than to actually do it! Thanks again.