Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear main oil seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Jul 21, 2004.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Apparantly the rear main seal is blown on my 427. I believe the block has the older 2-piece seal and a 7qt Moroso pan. Q: how much of a PITA is it to replace the seal?

The local reputable shop wants about 4 bills. I'd do it normally but I don't have lift equipment and my time is limited through September.

I'd like to get this done before the clutch is totally ruined. It's not slipping yet...

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you have to drop the pan and remove the rear main cap. then just push the old seal out and put the new one in.

as for having a lift, ive removed the pan on my truck a few times, and my truck is stock height. mines only a SBC though

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

From memory, there are rope and rubber seals. Any preference from the group?

4. big83chevy4x4

never heard of the rope seals, i always use the rubber ones, felpro brand. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Does the transmission need to be dropped to push the upper seal in, or can it be pushed in from the crank side after the pan is removed?

6. big83chevy4x4

nope the tranny can stay in place. just take a small rod or pick or something and just push it around. one it sticks out enough grab it with something and pull it the rest of the way out.

when you put the new one in, use the inside seal protector (comes with seal) and push the seal around the crank.

7. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Thanks!
    Now to decide if I'm ambitious enough to try it... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Well, I had a local shop replace the pan gasket and main seal. Unfortunately it's leaking like a sieve now. ARRRRG! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Where's it coming from?

10. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Main seal again. The shop is taking another look.
    Q: are there oil gallery plugs at the rear of the block?

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, there are three at the rear of the block behind the flexplate/flywheel(allen head pipe plugs usually)--also a freeze plug at the rear of the camshaft that seals the rear bearing for the cam that seals oil in,not to be confused with the two other freeze plugs next to it that go in the water jacket(cam freeze plug is the one in the middle). Cant say I've ever seen those plugs leak though,changed a lot of them at the machine shop but never saw one leaking,but who knows?? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif