Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Main Replacement ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazer_87, Apr 17, 2004.

1. blazer_87

blazer_87 Registered Member

Can the Rear main be replaced on my 87 k5 without taking out the tranny?

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes it can be. If you go to any auto parts store they should have a main seal kit, which comes with a small wire like doo-dad that is used to feed the new seal in. You will have to remove the oil pan though, and get a new oil pan gasket.

3. blazer_87

will i have to pull the flywheel and torque converter?

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

According to Haynes Manual-

"Later small block and V6 engines (1986 on), use a one piece rear main oil seal, which is installed in a bolt-on housing. Replacing this seal requires that the transmission, clutch assembly, and flywheel (manual transmission) or torque converter and drive plate (automatic transmission) be removed" /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Hope this is of some help, and not of too much dissapointment to you, good luck!!!

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am such an old fart that I forgot about those later year one-piece seals with the redesigned crank. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I did too, but if he has a auto tranny (which I see he does), it should not be too bad to replace.

7. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i just replaced mine when i had my tranny out. had to remove the flex plate as well… you do not have to remove the oil pan - the seal has a seal retainer but it is not required to remove the retainer to replace the seal. if the retainer is removed the oil pan must come down and you have to have an additional gasket (the one for the retainer) when you bolt everything back up. if you are going to do this, i would go ahead and get the oil pan gasket replaced (if it is leaking anywhere) because it is very easy to maneuver with all the other stuff out of the way… nothing hard here; but it is a lot of work...

8. blazer_87

One more ? then I think I am ready for the task. I have read conflicting info about whether or not I have to take the transfer case off first. Can the transfer case and tranny come out together or do I have to pull the TC then the Tranny?

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

You shouldn't have to remove the tranny or transfer case, just the tork converter and the flywheel, since you have a auto tranny. Good luck!!

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You shouldn't have to remove the tranny or transfer case, just the tork converter and the flywheel, since you have a auto tranny. Good luck!!

[/ QUOTE ]

on all the motors i have worked on, you cannot "remove" the torque convertor, unless the transmission is disconnected from the motor and slip back far enough for the torque convertor to clear the input shaft.

Replacing the seal with the trans in place can be done, but it will be a real bitch unless the trans is not moved far enough away from the motor.

11. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I agree with you, but I don't think he needs to drop the tranny completely......

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

No, not completely