Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Main Seal in T-Case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Apr 4, 2002.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to replace the rear main seal in the 241 t-c. I was under my truck last night putting in a new starter, and could see that it was leaking.
    Any input woud be Great!!
    91k5, 350, 241 T-C, e-700, (no mods) 4 inch lift, and drive shaft was never leghtend the drive shaft, and the seal was replaces about 2 years ago, when i bought the truck
    /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

It is easy. Just pull the driveshaft, pop the old one out(becareful not to pry against the housing or you can break it) and tap the new one in. One note, those seals always leak. That seems to be how it stays lubricated. I replaced mine before my SYE and it didn't take long to start leaking again.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep. I replaced mine in my 208, and it was easy. But it started leaking again not to long after. I have heard if you put some RTV around the seal to case mating surface this helps some.

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Sounds like after sitting for 3 days and only a little spot it is not somthing i need to worry about it right now.