Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear main seal leak????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ccarsonj, Jul 28, 2004.

1. ccarsonj

ccarsonj Newbie

I have an 84 4WD C10 w/ 165000 miles. The new AC Delco crate 350 I put in it in 2000 has around 80,000 miles.
    I have what I consider a major oil leak coming from somewhere around the back of the engine, it drips down the front of the flywheel cover that is on the bell houseing. It started about a year ago with just a couple of drops every time I parked it after a long (10 mileor more) drive. Now it is a 4" puddle everytime it sits for more than 5 hours.

Is this coming from my rear main?
    How much dough am I going to have to shell out to get it fixed?

I don't know how big of a project it is but I dont think I have the equipment to take it on.

Thanks
    Carson

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You might get lucky and find its the oil pressure sending unit located at the rear of the engine,beside the distributor,or the intake manifold end seal right next to it(it might have RTV silicone instead of a rubber seal),or the valve covers can leak and make it look like a rear main seal leak,because the oil drips from the same place after flowing down the bellhousing.
    If your motor is the new style block (86 and up),the engine or tranny has to come out to fix it,those motors have a seal just like a wheel bearing seal,you must remove the flywheel to remove it,the older motors had a two peice seal that requires oil pan removal,and the rear main bearing cap must be removed--its a tedious,messy job.Hope its not the rear main seal. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

If you have a remote oil filter adapter or oil cooler adapter it could be leaking there also.