Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear main seal Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcpilot, Apr 10, 2002.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Went into AutoZone to price the rear main seal, 76 K-5 350, they said there were 3 different seals for it, single lip, doulble lip and no lip.. any ideas?? The truck is my only vehicle so I really can't pull the seal then go buy one.. Thanks..

2. The 74 chevy I used to own had a 4 bolt main block with the double lip rear main seal in it. Since you are going to have to take the oil pan off to do the rear main seal, you should invest in the Fel Pro one piece oil pan gasket. It makes the job faster and you install it dry. I got mine for $34.99 at my local auto parts store, but you might find it cheaper where you're at.

Later...

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Most engines use the double lip seal. If you want to make sure you have the correct seal then just buy all 3 and return the 2 unused ones. I used the 1 piece pan gasket before and it is sweet. It makes things a whole lot easier especially when doing it in the truck.

4. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Just go to NAPA and get part # JV603. The only choice you should get is rope or teflon seal. Get the teflon or rubber seal.

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys.. I have already planned on the Fel_pro pan gasket!! It is a sweet gasket..