Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Main Seal Repair $$

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HuskerBlazer, Jul 16, 2001.

1. HuskerBlazer

HuskerBlazer 1/2 ton status

Guys,

1. How much would you expect to pay in labor to get a rear main (1 piece) seal changed on a '90 350? i've got neither the time, tools, or experience to drop my tranny to change this.

2. Just to check (if for some weird reason its not the rear main), where is the oil pressure gauge plugged in? Just wanted to check and see if that was the source.

K-5...Soccer moms inquire within.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Not sure of the answer to #1. The oil pressure sender screws into the top of the block, just behind the distributor. There's a slight half-moon shape missing from the intake manifold to clear where it screws in. Also make sure that the intake manifold or valve cover seals aren't leaking.

One other place that can cause oil on the engine is if your rig has the factory engine oil cooler. The adapter sandiwched between the oil filter and the engine block can leak, as can the lines that run between the adapter and the cooler. The wind while you're driving will blow most leaks in this area to the back of the engine. Remove the inspection cover under the torque converter and see if there's any oil inside that area. If not, then the leak is coming from somewhere other than the rear main seal.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. coincidentally

coincidentally Registered Member

I am pretty sure I paid a little over $300 total to get the rear main seal fixed on my 84 blazer (Th350 tranny), fixing it didn't seem too fun btw.