Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Main seal replacement on 1 piece rear main motor???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 9, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

How is it done? I may be doing an ultra fast motor pull this weekend to replace my flywheel on the burb. And while doing it I might as well fix that badly leaking rear main seal. So whats it take to replace one of them on a 1 piece rear main motor? Do I have to pull the whole damn crank or can I do it by simply dropping the pan?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I got my first look at a 1 piece rear main block and there is a 2nd cap on the top side of the rear main, so once the flywheel is off you should have to pull the top cap, and the oil pan and lower cap.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I simply pryed mine out and tapped in a new one when the transmission was out being replaced,,, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

They are simple to take out, but getting them on is a headache. Be sure not to damage the seal when your working it on. They may even sell special install sleeves to slide it on.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, don't forget to spit some oil on the rubber before you slide it on your crankshaft,,, /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I thought I would say the same thing everyone else said. It is really easy. I've done two. Some oil and the install sleeve mentioned above make it smooth. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As everyone else said, just pry the old seal out being carefull not to nick the crank, then install the new seal. Use the teflon seal, it is much better than the factory rubber seal. The teflon seal I just installed for someone even came with an install sleeve.