Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear Main Seal Replacement?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Feb 3, 2004.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I have a Leaky one but have never changed one... Im pulling the trans out this weekend so I figured it would be a good time to change it I got one made by Fel-Pro (1peice) and it came with 2 other gaskets along with the seal... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I have no idea what im doing though, I have changed axle seals and all that but im just kinnda confused so some one could give me the CHANGING THE REAR MAIN SEAL FOR DUMMIES version that would be cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im guessing you have the 86 and newer block. once you get the tranny out, you need to remove the flywheel/flexplate. then you will seal the part you need to remove it has like 6 or so bolts going around the crank. remove the bolts then carfully pry it out, replace the seal.
    i think there is a gasket on that piece so scrap it off and put the new one on and reassemble. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

i changed mine,when i pulled and re-installed my 700,i would get a buddy to help you.From what i remember,it was a pain,or gasket kept slipping,aw man,have fun.i would get the best gask you can find,cause you dont want to do it a 2nd time.i dont remember how we did it,its mainly from what i remeber,i remeber having to hold the weight of the tranny,(and transfer case)in a bench press position for a long time,it taking forever,and wishing to never do it again.Now,i know thats not much help,but get a freind to help you(mabey 2)and GET READY for pain. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

sounds easy enough, pry the old one out.. install new one with friends (mine) matco seal installer.. or 2x4, whatever works best.. maybe some silicone around the mating surface??

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like fun /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've got 9K on my new motor, I shouldn't have to deal with it for at least 100,000 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

After you take the tranny out and remove the flywheel/flexplate, you will see the seal and its retainer (the thing held on by the bolts and the reason for the other gaskets in the seal kit. You cannot remove the retainer without dropping the oil pan a bit so if nothing but the rear seal is shot I'd leave the retainer alone. You can pry the seal out with a screwdriver -- being careful not the score the crank. Then just drive the new seal in. Piece of cake right /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif