Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rear main seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mccomas, Mar 31, 2004.

1. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

when i replace my transmission next week, i want to replace the rear main seal. do i need any special tools to get it out or back in? any tips...

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

that should be a one piece rear main, hardest part is getting it out

pull trans, pull flywheel/flexplate, now the fun part, I have had luck drilling a real small hole in the steel shell of the old seal, then threading in a screw, then prying on the screw with 2 pry bars until the seal pops out

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

You take off the trans, flexplate, and you got to drop the only pan. Then unbolt the part that holds the seal and replace the seal, you probably need a new gasket too. Be very gentle when putting it back on, use assemble lube or atleast some oil on the seal when you reinstall. Like above, I guess you can try and do what he said so you wouldn't have to drop the oil pan and buy a new pan gasket. Good luck.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

If it's a one piece seal you don't need to drop the pan, i replaced mine without dropping it when the trans was out, i simply tapped mine out, got it to where it wasn't straight and just kept tapping and pryed and it popped out. Then oiled up the new one and reinstalled it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it's a one piece seal you don't need to drop the pan, i replaced mine without dropping it when the trans was out, i simply tapped mine ont, got it to where it wasn't straight and just kept tapping and pryed and it popped out. Then oiled up the new one and reinstalled it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, that blows /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

On the 86?? shouldn't that still be the old 2 piece rear main?????

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I think there may of been some leftovers installed, but for the most part 86 was onepiece seal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

86 is 1 piece seal, my engine is an 86.