Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rear main seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wishbone, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Mine has developed a leak. Not terrible but it is putting some oil on the driveway. I don't think I can change that myself. Is that something I can let go for a while or do I need to address it now? How much would that cost me?

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

What year rig? The two piece seals can be changed by dropping the oil pan and removing the back main cap. The tranny needs to be removed on the one piece seals.

Depends on how anal you are if you need to fix it or not...

3. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. It's an '84 with 350. A local shop quoted me $400 to change it which seemed a little steep. Is a two piece easier to install than a once piece? The oil pan I can drop myself no problem. How hard is the back main cap?

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

If the motor is sitting on the ground, the one piece is easier. I have seen two different types of two piece seals. Get the rubber type, it's easier to install. The rear main cap is fairly east to get to and remove. You just need a torque wrench to reinstall... I'd say it's a four hour job for an experience mechanic...

dp